Changing flat tire, lug nut removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a 1/2" cordless impact wrench in the back of my wife's Traverse along with a 22mm deep impact socket to fit the lug nuts. I showed her how to use it if she's ever in a situation by herself without me to help her. In my Suburban, I just keep a 24" breaker bar with a 22mm socket on it. I have it stashed in the rear side panel along with the factory jack. I also keep a 12v inflator in each vehicle. When we take a road trip anywhere, I pack a tool bag with almost every socket from 10mm to 22mm, (along with the impact wrench) some pliers, vise grips, snips, zip ties, duct tape, and a tire plug kit. I also bring a lithium jump pack and make sure that it's fully charged. I also bring along a few towels and a jar of Tub-O-Towels wipes, which work OUTSTANDING for cleaning up your hands after a dirty tire change or emergency roadside repair, that way I don't get the inside of the car all nasty. I also keep a tow strap in each vehicle in case it ever needs to be pulled or towed to safety if gets disabled in an unsafe high traffic area.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with your auto insurance company. Most provide roadside assistance insurance coverage for a much lower rate than AAA, and you can call them for help. They will find a local tow company and tell you what the response time will be. I pay $10 a year to State Farm, and they handle the rest. The only time I had to call, the truck was there in 15 minutes, and the tow was paid for. My tip to the driver was more than the annual coverage.
I have the same coverage with State Farm and I found out the hard way that they DO count every time you use it and consider it as a "Claim". They won't raise your rates for using it, but they WILL raise your rates the very second you do have to file an actual claim. They more than doubled my rates after one claim and after I inquired why it was such a large increase, they told me that it was because I filed more than 3 "claims" in the last 3 years. When in reality, it was 2 tows and ONE actual claim. So now I'm very leery about using the tow coverage and avoid using it if at all possible. Last time I needed a tow, I actually just borrowed my father in laws truck and rented a tow dolly from uhaul for like $30. My truck was stuck at my work, so it wasn't an emergency or anything. I'd rather pay $30 than get another rate hike. But if I'm stuck somewhere or on an accident and NEED a tow, then I'll actually use it and deal with the aftermath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019