Changing ECM...Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.....i have no idea what this means
DBC: driven by cable (the butterfly on the throttle body is open by a cable directly connected to the accelerator pedal.
DBW: driven by wire (the accelerator pedal has a position sensor that tells the PCM what throttle position is being demanded, the PCM sends a signal to an actuator attached to the throttle-body)

i called the dealer. they literally said they would only give me the part number on an invoice (basically, they will give it to me after i buy it)
Call another one? Most dealers are ****** find a good one and they would be willing to help you most likely. That being said, if your vehicle runs fine now is there any doubt as to the current PCM being proper & fit to run your vehicle?

I'm sure some PCM cross to others (IE, they can be substituted) but because most of us DIYers don't know which ones can substitute for which, we err on the side of caution and recommend replacement with exact matches. If yours isn't having any other problems other than the short then I would say you should be ok to find another that matches that part number.

how do i contact you for more information?
Their website is in his signature: www.blackbearperformance.com

OP
OP
L

luckyirishguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Call another one? Most dealers are ****** find a good one and they would be willing to help you most likely. That being said, if your vehicle runs fine now is there any doubt as to the current PCM being proper & fit to run your vehicle?

I'm sure some PCM cross to others (IE, they can be substituted) but because most of us DIYers don't know which ones can substitute for which, we err on the side of caution and recommend replacement with exact matches. If yours isn't having any other problems other than the short then I would say you should be ok to find another that matches that part number.

Their website is in his signature: www.blackbearperformance.com

The only report i got from our Automotive Instructor was
"The ECM is shorted to ground for the vent valve. It has burned out the vent valve. You will need a new ECM and an evap vent valve"

The current ECM is a salvage unit

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only report i got from our Automotive Instructor was
"The ECM is shorted to ground for the vent valve. It has burned out the vent valve. You will need a new ECM and an evap vent valve"

The current ECM is a salvage unit
Was the truck running fine before? Or it has never run right since the salvage unit was put in?

OP
OP
L

luckyirishguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was the truck running fine before? Or it has never run right since the salvage unit was put in?

i purchased the truck a month ago. haven't driven it much bc i wanted to get some standard servicing/tune up work done first. but i dyeing the short time it actually drives pretty well. I brought it to our automotive instructor to look it over and do some standard servicing... all he said was he found the source of my check engine light and it was caaused by "The ECM is shorted to ground for the vent valve. It has burned out the vent valve. You will need a new ECM and an evap vent valve"

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased the truck a month ago. haven't driven it much bc i wanted to get some standard servicing/tune up work done first. but i dyeing the short time it actually drives pretty well. I brought it to our automotive instructor to look it over and do some standard servicing... all he said was he found the source of my check engine light and it was caaused by "The ECM is shorted to ground for the vent valve. It has burned out the vent valve. You will need a new ECM and an evap vent valve"
IMHO, if everything else is fine except that one thing then I would be inclined to believe that the ECM currently in it is the original part number or at least a compatible part number. Therefore, replacing it with the same part number and flashing it to match your VIN should be all that's needed.

If you don't have the ability to flash it yourself then a Tuned ECM such as the suggested Blackbear Performance may be the way to go...

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

really need them codes they pulled to tell you any thing more.

be great if its a 30 dollar fix. vs a pcm and a few hundred later.

OP
OP
L

luckyirishguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
really need them codes they pulled to tell you any thing more.

be great if its a 30 dollar fix. vs a pcm and a few hundred later.

I've added this to the original post

The codes are
P0060
P0161
P0449

The automotive instructor said "Do not order the vent valve because the short in the ECM will just burn it out again."

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne