Changed entire evap system, but can't blow out line from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad I didn't have this issue when I did mine. May I asked what you are using to blow these things out. A proper blow gun with the correct blow tip at the nozzle will ensure maximum air delivery. Your regular metal tipped nozzle won't deliver the same air volume/pressure. Considering the length of the lines I had to use a different tip on my blow gun.

And it can be difficult to get a sealed connection on the purge valve hose connector for the air compressor tip. I've used a short piece of fuel line to stick in the connector to get a good seal. If the fuel line is a little too small to seal at the inside o-ring, a few wraps of electrical tape can make it just the right size to fit the blow tip.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's easy to make things difficult.
I just ordered a new line. Will be here on Friday and will change it out. Thanks.

So true. Blasting it with high pressure was the redneck power monger method that seemed cool. I was quickly corrected and a little ashamed once I realized I did it to myself.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I didn't have this issue when I did mine. May I asked what you are using to blow these things out. A proper blow gun with the correct blow tip at the nozzle will ensure maximum air delivery. Your regular metal tipped nozzle won't deliver the same air volume/pressure. Considering the length of the lines I had to use a different tip on my blow gun.

I used a standard blow gun with a rubber cone tip- the type that comes with most any air tool variety pack. My compressor is a 60-gallon with 11.9 CFM @ 90 psi, hose is a 3/8 with high flow fittings so they flow considerably more than the 1/4" fittings. I pressed it into the QD fitting from the engine side and let 'er rip. Jenn was under the Tahoe holding the other end, aiming it out the shop. It let out a loud hiss that lasted about .0001 second with a short blast of pellets, then barely had any flow. I immediately knew what had happened so I blasted it from the tank end to try to reverse what I had done then started my beating, flexing and hammering with gentle puffs from both ends until I didn't hear anything else moving in the line.

You don't need "maximum air delivery" to move the pellets out. The pellets can make their way all the way to the purge valve on the manifold, which includes a vertical climb of at least 12", with just the engine vacuum. I guess if your lines don't have a whole lot in them, then you could get away with shotgunning it. Mine was full.

Last edited:

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a standard blow gun with a rubber cone tip- the type that comes with most any air tool variety pack. My compressor is a 60-gallon with 11.9 CFM @ 90 psi, hose is a 3/8 with high flow fittings so they flow considerably more than the 1/4" fittings. I pressed it into the QD fitting from the engine side and let 'er rip. Jenn was under the Tahoe holding the other end, aiming it out the shop. It let out a loud hiss that lasted about .0001 second with a short blast of pellets, then barely had any flow. I immediately knew what had happened so I blasted it from the tank end to try to reverse what I had done then started my beating, flexing and hammering with gentle puffs from both ends until I didn't hear anything else moving in the line.

You don't need "maximum air delivery" to move the pellets out. The pellets can make their way all the way to the purge valve on the manifold, which includes a vertical climb of at least 12", with just the engine vacuum. I guess if your lines don't have a whole lot in them, then you could get away with shotgunning it. Mine was full.
Cool. Sounds like you had it under control. Just checking. I'm surprised how the line clogged up like that. Mine had charcoal pellets in it but was clean with minimal effort. I did dropped the tank and blow out the assembly of hoses on top of the tack.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the canister came apart on the vent side you’re also going to need to drop the tank and clean out all the pipes on top of the tank and remove the fuel pump and clean all the charcoal out of the tank and the vent pipes inside the tank. I just had this happen to my 08 and then had three customers have this same problem after never seeing it in my career. It’s a royal PITA. I ended up using bulk nylon fuel line taped to a shop vac to clean out the pipes in the tank.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Sounds like you had it under control. Just checking. I'm surprised how the line clogged up like that. Mine had charcoal pellets in it but was clean with minimal effort. I did dropped the tank and blow out the assembly of hoses on top of the tack.

There's no telling for how long mine had been ruptured. It's a weekend ride with relatively minimal drive time even then, so it could've been slowly packing the lines full over a long period of time. I used to have a habit of topping off- no more!

Was pretty full all the way to the purge valve: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1509160

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had everything replaced on my '05 Yukon a little over a year ago.... But.. I still get that " Tighten Fuel Cap" warning. I replaced the cap with a GM cap... No change. I wonder if my lines are still a problem. How long are the 2 lines and is it difficult to just replace?
( I will confirm my lines were cleaned by my mechanic,,,,, and how..... If he did it with success?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HThis is my 08. I was getting tighten gas cap and couldn’t fill with fuel. Replaced the canister, vent valve, and thought I had the lines cleared out. Still have tighten gas cap message. Took the tank completely out today and the big line inside the tank is full, there’s a ton all inside the tank (and it’s been in there at least a month and the fuel hasn’t dissolved it so don’t hold out hope for that), and the purge line on the tank is completely clogged which is the tighten gas cap message. I haven’t gotten to seeing if the pipe on the truck is also clogged.

Attachments

• 5E11460A-19FB-4FDE-A5AD-F88A3F46148F.jpeg
    5E11460A-19FB-4FDE-A5AD-F88A3F46148F.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 4F93665D-25B9-4D80-BB8B-5DA6BD7CE711.jpeg
    4F93665D-25B9-4D80-BB8B-5DA6BD7CE711.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518