Champion radiator woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy a sweet all aluminum champion radiator thinking it will be bad ass. I go to install it and the overflow fitting on the radiator is for 5/16 id hose while the tahoe takes 3/8 id hose.

So I say ok no big deal I am a machinist I will just make a new fitting or maybe I can just buy one.

I start looking into what the thread is on the champion 5/16 fitting..... hmmm it is very tapered, too tapered. I call Champion and they say it's a 1/16 npt.

I am machinist so I know the included angle on a ntp is about 3.5 degrees. Well I check the angle of this thread and it is a whopping 12.5 degrees!!!!!!

So either they are making a proprietary thread and lying about it or more likely some bungler make a few thousand of these WRONG and champion instead of throwing them away decides to just let their customers jam this part in there.

very disappointing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I called them back and they say the thread is like that so you can just jam it in the hole and it will seal. What a mickey mouse design. I'm going to make a standard 1/16 npt and use thread tape

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I will be making to be clear is a 1/16 npt to 3/8 barb. I can't find one online

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
step 1 I have a model, step 2 see if I can talk a cnc lathe operator into making it for me so I don't have to fire up the old conventional lathe

adapter.jpg

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well no luck convincing someone else to make my parts haha. So here is where i am at. Im going to test fit the thread before i go any further
By some miracle I actually found a die for the thread, I was not looking forward to single pointing it

20180411_175739.jpg 20180411_181023.jpg 20180411_181729.jpg

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final product now hopefully i can be back on the road this weekend

20180411_210353.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow nice work. I wonder what happens to the others who buy this and aren't machinists? BTW what did you pay for the radiator? There's a manufacturer on here who say they've designed the world's best radiator for our trucks and they decided $500 is what they're worth. That's almost 5 times what a stock one runs.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i dont know that would really be a bummer i guess you would have to splice the hose at some point. The radiator was $200 shipped it is a 3 core