Ceramic coating for chrome wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am starting to suspect that the detergent used in the touch free car washes along with recycling the water results in damage to alloy wheels over time. Thoughts?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am starting to suspect that the detergent used in the touch free car washes along with recycling the water results in damage to alloy wheels over time. Thoughts?
Most car washes use an extremely abrasive soap, so this is correct. It’s likely to damage wheels over time. Along with all the other surfaces on the vehicle. As a detailer, I know that keeping chrome wheels well maintained means keeping them at least waxed. It’s just like paint. It will lose its shiny surface over time if it’s not protected with wax or sealant. Plus if you wax or seal the wheels regularly brake dust and grime cone off much easier and it makes them much easier to clean. I just did a ceramic coating detail on a 2013 Yukon Denali for a client today. If you’re already ceramic coating the truck you may as well do the wheels while you’re at it.

027B4976-D000-491D-AB23-F272AFBFF8C5.jpeg 42798E91-D854-4853-A9E3-EFB2A399F18C.jpeg 391DB97D-1B94-4815-A49E-E62AB2BA8DBC.jpeg

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Most car washes use an extremely abrasive soap, so this is correct. It’s likely to damage wheels over time. Along with all the other surfaces on the vehicle. As a detailer, I know that keeping chrome wheels well maintained means keeping them at least waxed. It’s just like paint. It will lose its shiny surface over time if it’s not protected with wax or sealant. Plus if you wax or seal the wheels regularly brake dust and grime cone off much easier and it makes them much easier to clean. I just did a ceramic coating detail on a 2013 Yukon Denali for a client today. If you’re already ceramic coating the truck you may as well do the wheels while you’re at it.

View attachment 244772 View attachment 244773 View attachment 244774

Not to be too nosey but what do you charge for a " ceramic coating detail" and what does that include?

I ask because I spoke with a local detail shop about detailing my Suburban and ceramic coating the wheels. He said it would be $500.

$200 of that was for cleaning and ceramic coating the wheels and the detail included steam cleaning the headliner, shampooing the carpets, and touching up (air brushing) a spot about the size of a quarter on the dash where the grey dye has come off and touching up the steering wheel in the same manner... along with whatever else you detailers do to the inside.

I asked him what it would cost to ceramic coat the whole truck and he said it would be $1000 easy for a truck that size.

In full disclosure he is the first detailer I have ever spoken to and I didn't know if his prices were reasonable or average or high. I do realize that it is a lot of work, especially ceramic coating the whole truck because you have to prep everything and do paint corrections and all before you ever get to the ceramic stage of the process.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be too nosey but what do you charge for a " ceramic coating detail" and what does that include?

I ask because I spoke with a local detail shop about detailing my Suburban and ceramic coating the wheels. He said it would be $500.

$200 of that was for cleaning and ceramic coating the wheels and the detail included steam cleaning the headliner, shampooing the carpets, and touching up (air brushing) a spot about the size of a quarter on the dash where the grey dye has come off and touching up the steering wheel in the same manner... along with whatever else you detailers do to the inside.

I asked him what it would cost to ceramic coat the whole truck and he said it would be $1000 easy for a truck that size.

In full disclosure he is the first detailer I have ever spoken to and I didn't know if his prices were reasonable or average or high. I do realize that it is a lot of work, especially ceramic coating the whole truck because you have to prep everything and do paint corrections and all before you ever get to the ceramic stage of the process.
It also depends on what ceramic coating system he’s using. That price isn’t unreasonable if it’s a high end 3 or 5 year ceramic coating like CeramicPro or similar. Those are the big boy ceramics that you have to go through a specific coarse and pass a certification process by the manufacturer of the product to even be able to buy and use the product. That’s an in depth and expensive process and the product itself is quite pricey. Plus the labor to do all the prep and paint correction steps that’s involved first before the coating. PLUS you have to keep in mind that ceramic coatings have to be applied by hand as they can’t be machined on with a machine like an orbital polisher and waxing pads. That aspect itself adds to the amount of labor involved in a ceramic coating. So the $1000 he quoted for the whole thing is pretty on track with some of the detailers that I know that offer that service.
I’m on a little different track. I don’t charge that much because I’m using a different product. Chemical guys makes those high end ceramic coats. But they also make a ceramic infused sealant that’s more for the everyday detailer like me that’s good at what I do and can correctly use but it’s not so expensive to buy. I’m using the chemical guys hydroslick product line. Today, I charged the client $250 and did a foam bath, top to bottom clay bar detail including the wheels, a light one stage polish on the truck that took about an hour, as her paint is in very good condition and evening out the surface was easily done with the one stage polish, and then the ceramic coating, which is a two stage coating. And then I did an interior detail.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It also depends on what ceramic coating system he’s using. That price isn’t unreasonable if it’s a high end 3 or 5 year ceramic coating like CeramicPro or similar. Those are the big boy ceramics that you have to go through a specific coarse and pass a certification process by the manufacturer of the product to even be able to buy and use the product. That’s an in depth and expensive process and the product itself is quite pricey. Plus the labor to do all the prep and paint correction steps that’s involved first before the coating. PLUS you have to keep in mind that ceramic coatings have to be applied by hand as they can’t be machined on with a machine like an orbital polisher and waxing pads. That aspect itself adds to the amount of labor involved in a ceramic coating. So the $1000 he quoted for the whole thing is pretty on track with some of the detailers that I know that offer that service.
I’m on a little different track. I don’t charge that much because I’m using a different product. Chemical guys makes those high end ceramic coats. But they also make a ceramic infused sealant that’s more for the everyday detailer like me that’s good at what I do and can correctly use but it’s not so expensive to buy. I’m using the chemical guys hydroslick product line. Today, I charged the client $250 and did a foam bath, top to bottom clay bar detail including the wheels, a light one stage polish on the truck that took about an hour, as her paint is in very good condition and evening out the surface was easily done with the one stage polish, and then the ceramic coating, which is a two stage coating. And then I did an interior detail.

I can't remember the exact brand of ceramic coating he uses because it has been several months ago since I spoke with him. I know he told me the truck would have to stay with him over night to let the ceramic cure on the wheels.

I wish you were closer, I would give you some work... lol

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doubtful that your quote was for the CeramicPro 5 year.

i got quoted 2500 for my burb & wheels for CP 5yr.
he said its only b/c there is so much real estate to do.

so if by chance it was... take him up on it quick before he changes his mind LOL

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I use mother’s mag polish for my wheels , and bumpers and grille when applicable. If it’s fake chrome cladding or silver/painted wheels I’ll use whatever wax. I still clay bar first before anything. Ive never tried to ceramic coat metal finish , but I’m curious enough to try it. 040FCA19-741C-4B38-A593-FBC0D8D973DD.jpegCD2862EF-6A93-4BC8-8357-87F2E1568C41.jpeg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the same stuff on several vehicles and finishes especially good for my bike.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the stuff in the first image, the Megauirs Hybrid Ceramic Wax, i Use it on the whole truck.The water that beads off it if pretty good. What I find is very interesting is when it looks dirty, if you just rinse it off with water and a light lambs wool mitt, its just as shiny as it was before. I've just been using it after every wash, the wax while you dry is pretty neat and it makes it easy for not having to use or need a bufer, though Im still going to get one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon