Center console latch opening (square) that the lid catches into

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My center console lid has a little bit of up/down movement when closed. That really doesn't bother me, but when my arm is resting on it the leather on the underside of the lip squeaks when it rubs against the plastic part of the base. I stuck a couple little self stick rubber bumpers along the front underside near where the factory rubber ones are, thinking that those are just worn and squished.

It worked and made the lid close tightly and not squeak, but I've noticed the plastic square cutout in the base that the lid latches to is bulging up a bit. It's just thin plastic and hollow underneath and I can push it back down a bit to make it flat again. I thought about gluing a thin piece of metal across the underside to give it a bit more support. Has anyone seen or heard if this is a known issue or have any ideas what I could probably use to strengthen it a bit?

The area I'm talking about is the front edge of this square cutout I circled in yellow.

564629acf3d639c37d7d8a9caf6047b2.jpg

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not a bad idea. Make it the size and shape of the entire front section including the hole if you can and add something vertically too. This is why some cars now add in the owners manual “do not lean on center console “ but I do it anyway it’s hard not to