Cat-Back with 2/3 Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with choosing a cat-back kit that will fit an 04 Tahoe with a 2/3 drop? My last kit was a flowmaster SI/DO and the driver side tail pipe hit the axle tube. I think I'm going to be limited to a SI/SI passenger side. Any suggestions for most clearance over axle?

Also, reason I want a kit is that I want my entire stock exhaust kept in my garage in case I want to switch back to sell, etc. I don't want to have to get it welded.

Thanks.

OhioHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new muffler and turn downs before the rear axle is always an option. That way you don't have to worry at all about the exhaust hitting. It would be pretty cheap too

OP
OP
mizzouguy

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to retain the ability to put the complete stock exhaust back on, no welding req. Thanks for the reply tho. I was hoping someone had experience with a magnaflow/flowmaster/corsa/etc cat back on a lowered truck.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive unbolted the factory hangers and installed universal aftermarket hangers as they are generally stiffer and i could use existing frame holes and still was able to pull the exhaust up higher. Different vehicle tho but that might suit your needs. As your just unbolting the factory hangers you can also put them back on later along with the full stock exhaust if you ever wanted.

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an MBRP catback on my Suburban and it's lowered 5" in the rear with no issues. It's only a single outlet though. My guess is it gets tight on the drivers side because it has to clear the panhard axle bracket, and the gas tank, and lowering it compounds the problem. I have tons of clearance, I've bottomed the truck out on a large bump I wasn't expecting when I had an engine and trans in the back. The axle hit the bumpstops but the exhaust never made contact.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to cut my flow master duals exit exhaust right before the axle for the same reason. Now I have a flow master single side exhaust on it with no problems. I'm running Tony's 3-5/6 drop kit.

OP
OP
mizzouguy

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to cut my flow master duals exit exhaust right before the axle for the same reason. Now I have a flow master single side exhaust on it with no problems. I'm running Tony's 3-5/6 drop kit.

Is this the flow master kit or was it custom?

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster. Cheap shit started rusting out too! It did sound great though. Too bad it wasn't stainless steel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts