carpet padding vs dynamat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Block

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use to be a car audio installer and I wouldn't skimp and go with the cheap stuff because you're not going to be happy. You will end up redoing it or adding more layers which will cost just as much as the good stuff. Stick with Hush Mat or Dynamat. You won't need as much and you will be a lot happier. If you want just to do the doors do the whole door. The rear door rattle like crazy and it will sound like crap if you don't. If you're worried about cost, hit up eBay. It will save you half the money. Trust me don't cheat yourself you'll be a lot happier.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i hear, those asphalt based products are great for on the floor applications, but can tend to peel away when heated up in a vertical or overhead application. i wouldn't have a problem with using it for the floor, since it can't fall down if it's on the floor... but i think i'd spend the coin and use a butyl based product for vertical and overhead, like doors, roof, etc. i spent the extra and i got raammat from raam audio. he had some 'oops' rolls of raammat that didn't make the grade on the glue, and was selling them pretty cheap. if i remember right, i think it may have been around a buck a foot for it. (http://www.raamaudio.com/) i don't know if he still has any or not, you could call him or email him, he's a real cool guy and is good to get back with you. he even called me personally to verify my order. anyhow, i bought that to put on the floor, but i got the butyl based raammat bxt II to put in vertical and overhead. here's a site to thumb through to see that different products serve different purposes for sound dampening. (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi) the mats help to kill resonance, while the foam helps to kill the sound that makes it through the mat. when i redid my carpet, i got the mass backing on the carpet, plus i put the raammat (like dynamat, hushmat, etc.) and got some foam too. so mat, foam, carpet. just thumb through the info, see what you wanna do or not. i got my ensolite from raam audio, (inner door panels and such) but for the large areas i used some foam mat from http://www.thefoamfactory.com/ i used the gymnastic rubber, figured it's close to same same. used the 1/4 inch on the floor, glued it down with some spray adhesive, 1/8 inch on the roof. still gotta do the 4 doors, but did the back doors and the rest of the truck and it's pretty darn quiet. anyhow, blah blah blah... i'm not saying i'm right or anyone else is wrong, but i do think that certain products are better for certain applications. have heard of people having problems with the asphalt based stuff slipping and falling down and making a nasty mess in the summer months. but you being in wisconsin, you may be okay. just do some homework, it's completely your choice, good luck with whatever you decide. keep us posted man. branndon

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm ya our summers can get pretty hot and humid up here so might come across the problem of it sliding down. thanks for the info i'll check into it and see

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
I got bored today and went to Lowes to get some peel n seal, but with no luck. I went to Home Depot and found some Quick roof (which is pretty much the same thing). For $16 for 6"x25' it beats any other sound deadening. My first concern was smell..and this had no smell at all. I already had some dynamat around my door speakers but i want to do the whole door. I used an ammonia based window cleaner to clean the doors, and this stuff sticks ALOT better then you think. The biggest thing is that you can work it 10 times better than dynamat. Dynamats aluminum tears very easy. With one roll I did my tailgate and passenger rear door with a little left over to start the front door. I still have to do the drivers side doors tomorrow and will post pics. This stuff is a little thinner than dynamat and it says its good up to 125 degrees....but if its behind your door panels they are pressed up against it and will hold it in place

Reaction score
You need to hook me up. Lowes doesnt have anything and we dont have a home depot around here. You cant order it off of home depots web site either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84