carpet padding vs dynamat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have some left over carpet padding from redoing my interior and was thinking about using it instead of buying dynamat for on the doors around the speakers. whats the difference and would it really matter that much if i used carpet padding?

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
it would make a little difference but dynamat would make a lot more of a difference

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To relate it,

Jute is like a good set of ear muffs.

Dynamat is like ear plugs.

Dynamat will keep the sound vibrations from traveling INto the vehicle, and keep the audio sound inside the vehicle as well.

I put Dynamat on the underside from the firewall to the rear also, it helps with the sound from the exhaust and keeps the tranny/exhaust heat out.

B

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know it's all good and fine to save a couple bucks on dynamat/raammat/etc., but did you hear him say about putting "a couple extra layers?" and him saying it was "about a dollar a square foot? so if you start adding it up, he's still paying 3 bucks a square, which is not really all that much cheaper than the stuff specifically designed for that purpose. i got all my stuff from raam audio, good product for a good price. i agree that dynamat is overpriced, you are probably paying for the name more than anything. but buying this product, thinking you are saving a fortune isn't exactly the truth either. anyway, just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To relate it,

Jute is like a good set of ear muffs.

Dynamat is like ear plugs.

Dynamat will keep the sound vibrations from traveling INto the vehicle, and keep the audio sound inside the vehicle as well.

I put Dynamat on the underside from the firewall to the rear also, it helps with the sound from the exhaust and keeps the tranny/exhaust heat out.

B

thanks for the explanation! i didnt know this about dynamat, i thought it was just a form of sound deadening. didnt think it worked the way it did.

the carpet padding wont really work for that purpose then since it mainly absorbs sound.

so my next question will be whats the best "bang for your buck" version of dynamat? i have heard a lot about raammat. is that stuff in the vid worth it compared to raammat/dynamat? i wouldnt double layer it, i'm just looking for a little help with keeping the sound in since i know the doors let it out pretty easy.

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
peel n seal is a cheap alternative, It is thinner though so you might need to add a few layers. Only thing is it smells like tar for a lil bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts