cannot get my air bag off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
26slate

26slate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got it out..................note to self anyone looking to do this it not just " stick a allen wrench in the hole and push and it will come out" yes you use a allen wrench stick it in and point it kinda twards the steering wheel away from the dash not like a crazy amout and feel for tabs and play with it and feel around for them when your on the tab you can push it and feel its springy not ******* stick a allen in the hole and push...i called the owner at auto woods the guy who made the video on you tube how to remove the air bag....i hope that helps i messed with mine like 25 times its very easy.........hope that helps some one in need

Showmehomey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This adds to 26slate's post.

I found it difficult to remove the airbag because I didn't know what I was doing with the Allen wrench when I was repeatedly inserting it into the hole. This is all clear after you take the bag off for the first time, so i think people overlook this point when explaining the process to others.

The airbag stays in place on the wheel by 2 3/8" pins that fit loosely in 2 holes in the wheel frame. The pins have a notch/groove in them that receives a thin bar. When the pins extend through the holes, the thin bar locks in the notch/groove.

When you insert the Allen wrench into the hole, you are pushing the thin bar (spring) out of the notch/groove. As mentioned before, there is some spring resistance on the thin bar as it is pushed out of the notch/groove.

The airbag won't just fall off when you press the thin bar out of the notch. Or it didn't in my case. I had to grab the airbag and wiggle it back and forth/up and down.

When the thin bar was free of the notch, and I was wiggling/pulling on the airbag (think palming a basketball), the airbag shifted free of its resting place. I then repeated on the other side, with the wiggling and palming.

OP
OP
26slate

26slate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
point the tool down and towards you a little bit feel for a springy skinny pin lol after i got my spokes painted and i put it all back together i put something on wrong cuz when i put the battery cables back on the horn was on lol i pulled the fuse and drove it for a few days ...but i can get my air bag out easy know cuz i know what to do lol it was a learning experience

anhandrew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used an allen wrench. took about five minutes. Does not go in very deep. but you will need to keep poking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12