Can some one tell me what I'm looking at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
By Trailblazer coils, I meant lowering coils for a Trailblazer. Although, stock TB coils would lower a Tahoe, just very minimally. IIRC, the coil to have is the DJM 4" Trailblazer coil and it'll yield around 5" of drop on a Tahoe. If this is too much, you could toss in a 1" spacer. If it's too soft or if you tow, you could add some Airlift bags. I think the bags to use are for a Nissan Pathfinder. I have some but not the part number. They're about half the height of the stock Tahoe bags. For a stock or possibly slightly softer than stock ride, Belltech Street Performance struts and shocks are the ticket. The Belltech struts come with rings to adjust the drop from 0" to 2" in 1/2" increments. I was thinking 4" front drop might be too much so I was gonna try 3.5". I don't wanna have to take the struts back apart if it's not enough drop. So, I'm gonna go with no spacers to get the full 2" drop (4" total with the McG spindles). If it's too low, I'll use a spacer under the strut just like a lift spacer to fine-tune the drop. An 1/8" thick washer would yield about 1/4" of lift.
Oh ok good thing you cleared that up lol. I've been looking around and alot of info I've seen suggest going to low on a 4wd or AWD isn't good...is this true? Mine is AWD. Does it hinder the amount I can lower the truck?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok good thing you cleared that up lol. I've been looking around and alot of info I've seen suggest going to low on a 4wd or AWD isn't good...is this true? Mine is AWD. Does it hinder the amount I can lower the truck?

I completely forgot about mentioning this cuz you first said you'd like to have the stance of a PPV, which would only be a mild drop. Yes, 4WD or AWD limits how low you can drop it because of the CV axles. You can slam it, but the axles will wear out very quickly and they'll likely be making a lot of noise and vibrations up until they let go. The lower you go, the more stress they'll be under. I don't know the safe limit for drop in the front, but I'd guess 3". We don't have snow so I don't deal with 4WD/AWD much in my parts and especially not lowered.

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
I completely forgot about mentioning this cuz you first said you'd like to have the stance of a PPV, which would only be a mild drop. Yes, 4WD or AWD limits how low you can drop it because of the CV axles. You can slam it, but the axles will wear out very quickly and they'll likely be making a lot of noise and vibrations up until they let go. The lower you go, the more stress they'll be under. I don't know the safe limit for drop in the front, but I'd guess 3". We don't have snow so I don't deal with 4WD/AWD much in my parts and especially not lowered.
Dam that sucks....I was really looking forward to dropping it 4 in the front and 5 in the back. No wonder I e been looking for kits and anything that would instruct me on lowering it and most of the things I find say 2wd only and no autoride....here has been the only place I got answers. So with mine having autoride and AWD what do you think would be my option? Stay stock hight? I don't want premature wear on the axles, all I have found is kits with spindle drops and stuff like that.....would that mitigate wear? I have found some that say 4wd but it was only like 2 inches....that doesn't seem like much of a drop up front.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dam that sucks....I was really looking forward to dropping it 4 in the front and 5 in the back. No wonder I e been looking for kits and anything that would instruct me on lowering it and most of the things I find say 2wd only and no autoride....here has been the only place I got answers. So with mine having autoride and AWD what do you think would be my option? Stay stock hight? I don't want premature wear on the axles, all I have found is kits with spindle drops and stuff like that.....would that mitigate wear? I have found some that say 4wd but it was only like 2 inches....that doesn't seem like much of a drop up front.

They mention kits not being for vehicles equipped with Autoride because dropping affects the operation of the system. There are ways around this or you can bypass Autoride altogether, then any drop kit for a non-Autoride vehicle will apply. But, AWD or 4WD can't be circumvented. You can remove the axles and install 2WD hubs and have free reign, but is 3"+ of drop THAT important to you?

Drop is drop whether it's spindles or springs or relocators or arms. The wheels will be X inches higher, meaning the CV axle's angle will be changed. I'm not the authority on dropping a 4WD, so maybe someone will chime in. 2" is totally safe, but I was thinking maybe 3" would be doable. Or, maybe 4" is doable with "only" more frequent axle replacements? Or, maybe you can have some custom axles made that will be perfectly fine at steeper angles, such as the RCV axles crawlers/off-roaders use.

OP
OP
L

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
They mention kits not being for vehicles equipped with Autoride because dropping affects the operation of the system. There are ways around this or you can bypass Autoride altogether, then any drop kit for a non-Autoride vehicle will apply. But, AWD or 4WD can't be circumvented. You can remove the axles and install 2WD hubs and have free reign, but is 3"+ of drop THAT important to you?

Drop is drop whether it's spindles or springs or relocators or arms. The wheels will be X inches higher, meaning the CV axle's angle will be changed. I'm not the authority on dropping a 4WD, so maybe someone will chime in. 2" is totally safe, but I was thinking maybe 3" would be doable. Or, maybe 4" is doable with "only" more frequent axle replacements? Or, maybe you can have some custom axles made that will be perfectly fine at steeper angles, such as the RCV axles crawlers/off-roaders use.
Ah ok good to know that, at least maybe I can pick out how to bypass the autoride. No I'm not willing to remove the AWD I like it but I would like to drop to 4/5, I really don't like how these sit so high. I have to look into the custom axles maybe. Hopefully someone can chime in that has gone 4/5 on a AWD or 4WD. Hell I'd even consider a complete air suspension with airbags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC