Can P0161 Cause Driveability Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstaake415

Reaction score
Seems like a downstream O2 sensor wouldn't cause any driveability issues... I'd been driving all day with no issues. Then I had to merge into traffic and gave it some gas and it didn't seem to want to accelerate. Prior to this I was driving pretty gently. Anyway, I was worried I was going to get hit and floored it. It barely accelerated and the check engine light started flashing. Plugged in my T-Mobile SyncUP and got this code.

To me it felt more like a bad fuel pump although I'd expect a P0171 or similar System Too Lean Code not a downstream O2 sensor code which I thought was literally irrelevant except for making sure the catalytic converter efficiency is OK.

Anyway, I should probably connect a real scanner, check my fuel trims, and hook up a fuel pressure tester. But in the mean time, any thoughts?

2001 Suburban 5.3 4x4 290K miles.

P0161 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flashing cel is a misfire, o2 sensor is smog/epa crap and shouldn't cause any driveability problem, it may however cause engine damage in the long run if not corrected

OP
OP
M

mstaake415

Reaction score
flashing cel is a misfire, o2 sensor is smog/epa crap and shouldn't cause any driveability problem, it may however cause engine damage in the long run if not corrected
idk if it makes sense but it felt like a lean misfire. i'll hook up a real scanner with live data and see what's up. thanks for confirming a p0161 shouldn't affect how it drives and something else is likely going on...

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s a symptom of your problem rather than the cause.
Might try looking at your fuel trims and watching the upstream o2 sensors for anything out of the ordinary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro