Can P0161 Cause Driveability Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstaake415

Reaction score
Seems like a downstream O2 sensor wouldn't cause any driveability issues... I'd been driving all day with no issues. Then I had to merge into traffic and gave it some gas and it didn't seem to want to accelerate. Prior to this I was driving pretty gently. Anyway, I was worried I was going to get hit and floored it. It barely accelerated and the check engine light started flashing. Plugged in my T-Mobile SyncUP and got this code.

To me it felt more like a bad fuel pump although I'd expect a P0171 or similar System Too Lean Code not a downstream O2 sensor code which I thought was literally irrelevant except for making sure the catalytic converter efficiency is OK.

Anyway, I should probably connect a real scanner, check my fuel trims, and hook up a fuel pressure tester. But in the mean time, any thoughts?

2001 Suburban 5.3 4x4 290K miles.

P0161 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flashing cel is a misfire, o2 sensor is smog/epa crap and shouldn't cause any driveability problem, it may however cause engine damage in the long run if not corrected

OP
OP
M

mstaake415

Reaction score
flashing cel is a misfire, o2 sensor is smog/epa crap and shouldn't cause any driveability problem, it may however cause engine damage in the long run if not corrected
idk if it makes sense but it felt like a lean misfire. i'll hook up a real scanner with live data and see what's up. thanks for confirming a p0161 shouldn't affect how it drives and something else is likely going on...

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s a symptom of your problem rather than the cause.
Might try looking at your fuel trims and watching the upstream o2 sensors for anything out of the ordinary