Can anybody tell me what is causing this sound? No cel, increases with rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
suspects: power steering pump, ac compressor, alternator, or tensioner(s).
to help narrow it down
take off ac belt, start it up if noise is gone then that's your sign
if not then take off serpentine belt and spin the alternator/steering pump/tensioners by hand and see if you can hear which one is noisy.
if it is for sure none of those then next up would be water pump.

Mrsteef

Reaction score
If the ac is on in the video that would be my first suspect. Try with the ac off then go from there like Doyoubelieve stated

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like power steering....that would be more of a whineing sound.

It sounds like (from the video) it is either the tensioner bearing or the bearing in the other belt roller....

Alternator generally makes more of a grinding sound.

I'd take off the A/C belt and run the engine....if that doesn't solve the problem, I would just replace both the idler and the tensioner....fairly cheap parts.

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
I checked with the AC off in the cab ( but not with the belt itself off ) and still got the sound, Tried spinning the tensioner and idler pulley by hand this morning as well as the alternator but didn't seem to me like they made any sounds and felt like they spun freely. I did have the water pump replaced recently about 1.5-2 years ago but not many miles on it since as it's not a daily driver. when I get a chance I'll try taking the belt off the ac compressor but it seems like the sound is coming from up higher.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar noise on mine, but it seems to only happen when its cold, I still haven't figured it out to this day since I never thought much of it til the winter comes and I park after driving for a while. Does yours happen when cold or is it constant all the time?

Seems to get closer after second 8 in the video but I might be crazy

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
I have a similar noise on mine, but it seems to only happen when its cold, I still haven't figured it out to this day since I never thought much of it til the winter comes and I park after driving for a while. Does yours happen when cold or is it constant all the time?

Seems to get closer after second 8 in the video but I might be crazy
Actually, It didnt even start until recently when It got a little colder around here, before that it was relatively quiet for a 11 year old engine. I like to try to figure these things out myself without having to go to a garage, but at the same time I hate throwing money at things unless I know exactly where its coming from.

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
spray some of that anti slip belt dressing on the both sides of the serpentine belt as grooved drives alt,pwr steer and smooth drives waterpump. it does resemble a freaky intake leak sound so look at all the vacume plumbing under the top engine cover. i say it's the serpentine slipping on alt or waterpump. especially if it only does it at idle.

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday as well that when I first started the engine I did not hear the sound as I went out to spray water on the belt to test it, but after about 30 seconds of me revving it up to about 2K that the noise returned and spraying the water didn't change the sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645