Can anybody tell me what is causing this sound? No cel, increases with rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the belt and spinning all the pulleys by hand isn't always going to pinpoint or rule out a particular pulley. With the belt off, all the bearings in the pulleys, alternator, water pump, etc. aren't loaded any more and you can't replicate that by hand.

I bet with a mechanic's stethoscope ($4 at Harbor Freight), you'd pinpoint the source in less than two minutes.

Just to throw out a guess, it sounds like a water pump bearing.

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
tried the belt dressing stuff as I had to run to the store anyway and they had it, did not help in fact on top of the sound I got a bunch of squealing for about 5 miles. gonna run to harbour freight and grab one of the stethoscopes as I couldn't pin point it using a screwdriver, Water Pump was replaced 8/2016 Id hate to have to replace it again so soon.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt spray stuff is a joke, and will only temporarily fix it. Stethoscope made for the auto world is a good tool, but if its coming from a pulley or a tensioner its going to be hard to get good placement to find the source. As loud as the noise is, its going to be VERY loud in a stethoscope too. The sound is clearly rotational, I would suspect a tensioner before anything. It might be easier to put a ratchet with an extension and a socket on your tensioner nut (where you put a ratchet to release the tensioner itself to remove/replace the belt), and I would try adding or relieving the pressure slightly to see if it goes away.

Obviously you are going to need to be very careful, since you are going to need to do this with the engine running. You'll lose a finger in the blink of an eye, so if you don't feel comfortable it might be worth taking somewhere.

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
Belt spray stuff is a joke, and will only temporarily fix it. Stethoscope made for the auto world is a good tool, but if its coming from a pulley or a tensioner its going to be hard to get good placement to find the source. As loud as the noise is, its going to be VERY loud in a stethoscope too. The sound is clearly rotational, I would suspect a tensioner before anything. It might be easier to put a ratchet with an extension and a socket on your tensioner nut (where you put a ratchet to release the tensioner itself to remove/replace the belt), and I would try adding or relieving the pressure slightly to see if it goes away.

Obviously you are going to need to be very careful, since you are going to need to do this with the engine running. You'll lose a finger in the blink of an eye, so if you don't feel comfortable it might be worth taking somewhere.

I'll give that a try with the tensioner seems pretty straightforward, however the sound does not seem to start until the engine gets warm before that it sounds normal. Would the tensioner be affected by cold morning weather as this just recently started happening as the temps started to drop around here?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet with a mechanic's stethoscope ($4 at Harbor Freight), you'd pinpoint the source in less than two minutes.

+2 ^^^

Before these were invented, we took a long extension and stuck one end in our ear and touched the other end to suspected parts. You're thinking about this too much.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try with the tensioner seems pretty straightforward, however the sound does not seem to start until the engine gets warm before that it sounds normal. Would the tensioner be affected by cold morning weather as this just recently started happening as the temps started to drop around here?
Yes, the tensioner can certainly be affected by temperature.
+2 ^^^

Before these were invented, we took a long extension and stuck one end in our ear and touched the other end to suspected parts. You're thinking about this too much.
Still a valid method, and widely used. :)

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
tried the belt dressing stuff as I had to run to the store anyway and they had it, did not help in fact on top of the sound I got a bunch of squealing for about 5 miles. gonna run to harbour freight and grab one of the stethoscopes as I couldn't pin point it using a screwdriver, Water Pump was replaced 8/2016 Id hate to have to replace it again so soon.

Sorry for the belt dressing not working, but the fact that the squealing got ugly and continued for 5 miles may be the effect of your tensioner not applying enough belt tension to drive the alternator load and spraying the belt stuff made it worse. i swear this should be a simple fix. ok what i would do but am not advising you to do is while the engine is running put a 15mm wrench on the tensioner pully bolt and apply some pressure to see if you can stop the squealing. understand you are applying a loosening tq to the bolt itself so dont over do it. i think if a waterpump bearing were making that much noise you should see some fluid out the weephole? Uh yea what the previous post advised, didnt highjack, just similar thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
Sorry for the belt dressing not working, but the fact that the squealing got ugly and continued for 5 miles may be the effect of your tensioner not applying enough belt tension to drive the alternator load. i swear this should be a simple fix.

No worries man! the dressing was only like 3 bucks and it's something I would of tried anyway as I was checking options off the list... I truly appreciate the input from everyone, I got the stethoscope but it's been raining the last two days but it's my first thing on my to do list tomorrow... Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the first thing I would have done would be to remove the serpentine and run the engine without it, to confirm that the noise is coming from one of the pulley bearings.

You should be able to zero in on it with the stethescope. My money is on the water pump or tensioner pulley.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go by a muffler shop and ask one of the guys that works there if they can pinpoint where the noise is coming from there pretty good at that stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE