cam and other possible valvetrain options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburbanguy89

Reaction score
im going to be doing an overhaul on my 99 burbans heads and want to put a more aggresive cam in it, i am looking for torque/idle-midrange power and i want to have a nice lopey idle, nothing too rediculous, but lopey nonetheless, its a 350 5.7l vortech and help with finding the right cam, timing gears, pushrods, springs etc, etc. any help would be greatly appreciated, as for the heads i can resurface the valves and resurface the seats no problem at my shop, doing the old school 45/46 trick on the valve/seat mesh if the chevy has 45 degree angled valves. so all of that isnt an issue. just need someone with experience in the field to point me in the right direction

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
comp cams might have some computer controlled FI compatible cams that might fit.
you can fit 1.6 narrow body rocker with some elongating of push rod holes in the heads. 1.52 fit without modifications to head. and you have to use a timing chain. you can not use a timing gear drive set on vehicles with knock sensors.

OP
OP
suburbanguy89

suburbanguy89

Reaction score
this is why i came to you sunlit, haha. so what do you suggest on a good timing chain set? and i guess ill give comp cams a call to see what i can do cam wise for my application, and when you say enlongate the holes do you refer to widening them? i have a milling machine to do all the work so it wouldnt be an issue really, but do you know how much i would have to mill out? do you also have any recomendations on what rockers to get?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much you can do on a Vortec for timing chains, you have that reluctor wheel and sensor in the cover to deal with.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
For the chain set get an oem set or there is brands like federal-mogul and sealed power which make excellent products. One outfit owns these brands and typically any brand of theirs is good stuff. When you call comp cam make sure they know it is a vortec 350 and not a car injected 350 with the reverse cooling system. You will also have a a stock roller cam.

For the hole you make the holes ovalish by grinding the hole inline with the hole, stud and valve orientation.

OP
OP
suburbanguy89

suburbanguy89

Reaction score
yeah i was very suprized to find out it was roller style instead of the flat tappet design. and yeah your right, nothing beats the quality of oem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts