CAI Check Engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TV32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put a K&N CAI on my 2011 5.3 Tahoe. Everything was fine until the next day when the check engine light came on. I double checked all the connections and everything is nice and tight so I disconnected the battery to clear the code. It worked for a couple days, but now the light is back on.

I know K&N oils the air tube quite well, so I'm thinking some of that may have got onto the MAF sensor. I'm going to pull it out and clean it tonight, but has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone make a suggestion on a remedy?

Thanks.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak, is it running ok, with just SES light on? I know it takes a few days for it to 'learn' the added air coming in.

Monarkk

Banned
Reaction score
I had this when I did my volant, check the lines behind the engine cover. I pinched a hose when putting the engine cover back on.

OP
OP
T

TV32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas.

It feels like its running ok. I just cleaned the MAF sensor and cleared the light by disconnecting the battery and it came right back. Where would a vacuum leak most likely be coming from? i have noticed that the bracket for the MAF doesn't look like it seals up all the way because it only has screw placement in two of the four corners.

I'll head out now and check all the hoses behind the block, good idea.

I'll also head up to autozone to see if they can tell me what the CEL means.

OP
OP
T

TV32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I checked ith autozone and apparently the code is for a bad o2 sensor. I'm at the chevy dealer now and hopefully they take care of it without giving me any grief. Coincidence? As i understand it, the o2 sensor shouldn't have anything to do with the air intake, right?

fishhunter911

Reaction score
Intake should not cause a 02 sensor. Unless it is making the truck run extremely rich.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably getting the same code that the Volant can throw. Either you really DID leave something loose, or it just doesn't like the intake. But, it seems to me that the O2 sensor, gas cap, and vacuum leak code are all the same thing.

Did you disconnect the battery WHILE installing the kit?

My Volant throws a code every 3 months or less frequently, but I now can clear it with my BlackBear EFI Live handheld.

OP
OP
T

TV32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the sissys couldn't get the sensors out of the y pipe so their solution is to just remove and replace the whole set up. That should happen Wednesday.

I didn't disconnect the battery while installing the kit, but have disconnected it numerous times since.

What could I have left loose that would have thrown an o2 sensor code??

Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't disconnect the battery while installing the kit, but have disconnected it numerous times since.

My instructions said to disconnect the battery when swapping the intakes. Since you have to disconnect the MAF sensor (the electronic piece that reads airflow), I wonder if this has something to do with your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito