Cabin air pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I did an SPL test in the car today and it was similar to another SUV I own, maybe slightly quieter. It's as I suspected though, likely not sound related. I've ordered a barometer with a capability of doing an instantaneous reading. Will be interesting to see if the Tahoe has noticibly higher pressure than my other vehicle.

G-Frog

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I did an SPL test in the car today and it was similar to another SUV I own, maybe slightly quieter. It's as I suspected though, likely not sound related. I've ordered a barometer with a capability of doing an instantaneous reading. Will be interesting to see if the Tahoe has noticibly higher pressure than my other vehicle.
Keep us informed of your progress. Good luck!

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
No real updates yet, but I noticed that the headliner seems loose. My theory is that when I drive, the headliner is sort of bouncing and flexing over bumps, creating air pressure peaks. Does anybody else, specifically with an LS trim level notice this?

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the result is less booming inside the vehicle you might have found the cause though correcting it permanently might be problematic without reengineering the ceiling attachment design.

I will bet something is exciting a bass node with a standing wave inside the cabin. I believe some of these vehicles have active noise reduction which might control certain frequencies by cancelling them or reducing them. You might look up room corrections for listening rooms to understand the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update on this. I thought the issue may be the headliner, but took a nice long test drive in an LT with the pano roof (and thus more sunroof than headliner) and had the same issue. This is starting to point to the roof structure itself flexing too much while driving, thus creating the booming inside the cabin. The one I test drove was a '22.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update on this. I thought the issue may be the headliner, but took a nice long test drive in an LT with the pano roof (and thus more sunroof than headliner) and had the same issue. This is starting to point to the roof structure itself flexing too much while driving, thus creating the booming inside the cabin. The one I test drove was a '22.
I've had 9000 miles in my Yukon XL with no notice of ear pressure.
Question: Can you "adjust" the wierdness w/ using the HVAC controls, like fan on high and not in recirc, or in recirc, etc...

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are y'all grasping at straws here and not taking this into the dealer under warranty ?

Every headliner will have that flex. It will not be rigid.

Really strange things you guys are describing. Hope you resolve it.

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
I sold it after a month. Could not deal with the pressure and didn't want to mess with the dealer which surely would have said "could not duplicate". I know it was an issue with the roof in the previous gen, just wanted to let the forum know my experience with my '21. I otherwise loved it, which is why I gave the '22 LT a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700