Cabin Air Filters 2004 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aquamania001

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been going over the posts here and I have a question. Does my 2004 Tahoe LT have a cabin air filter? I see some people say the have them and most don't. How do I find out if I have one and how do I change it?

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Article has been updated by bulletin #PIT3330, dated December 22, 2004.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may inquire about the availability of the passenger compartment air filter.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Starting in 2003 model year, the passenger compartment air filter is no longer available as a factory option. With the redesigned HVAC case, there is no longer a cavity for the filter. The GM parts catalog indicates there is a replacement filter available; however, there is no provision for it.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been going over the posts here and I have a question. Does my 2004 Tahoe LT have a cabin air filter? I see some people say the have them and most don't. How do I find out if I have one and how do I change it?
When GM stopped including the cabin air filter, they just added a block-off plate in the mold. The latch point and screw boss for the door and all of the other features for the filter are still there, you just have to cut out the plastic that was molded over the opening. At some point later on demand for the filter caused GM and Dorman to both offer retrofit kits to add it back in. The kit includes the door and screw. Most people use a utility knife to cut out the blocked-off opening. It's relatively easy to cut and there is a scored pattern to follow when cutting it. I did the retrofit to my '05, if I recall correctly it took me about 30 minutes.

One tip, you have to drop the hush panel above the passenger footwell to access it. There are three screws that hold it in place, don't remove the one behind the console, it's a pain to get back in. Just remove the two above your feet and pull the panel down far enough to give yourself room to work.

The GM part number for the kit is 22759208 and the Dorman kit part number is 259-200. Dorman kits include a filter, with GM kits the filter must be bought separately. Both can be bought on Amazon.

OP
OP
Aquamania001

Aquamania001

Reaction score
When GM stopped including the cabin air filter, they just added a block-off plate in the mold. The latch point and screw boss for the door and all of the other features for the filter are still there, you just have to cut out the plastic that was molded over the opening. At some point later on demand for the filter caused GM and Dorman to both offer retrofit kits to add it back in. The kit includes the door and screw. Most people use a utility knife to cut out the blocked-off opening. It's relatively easy to cut and there is a scored pattern to follow when cutting it. I did the retrofit to my '05, if I recall correctly it took me about 30 minutes.

One tip, you have to drop the hush panel above the passenger footwell to access it. There are three screws that hold it in place, don't remove the one behind the console, it's a pain to get back in. Just remove the two above your feet and pull the panel down far enough to give yourself room to work.

The GM part number for the kit is 22759208 and the Dorman kit part number is 259-200. Dorman kits include a filter, with GM kits the filter must be bought separately. Both can be bought on Amazon.
WOW!! Thank you much for this. Seems so stupid for GM to take it out and then replace it. I don't have one but it may be a future mod for me.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed one in mine. It's crazy to me that even the top optioned escalades didn t get them. Easy install

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, seems stupid but you need to cut the opening.
I used Dremel on mine. In Russia we all buy this cap from a guy who makes it on a 3D Printer (around 8$ :)). And there are a dozen of filters that fits perfectly (but GM OEM 52485513)

BTW, GM in not unique in this crazy doing. My 00'Subaru Forester had almost same situation. BUT it has an opening and a cap, but no filter inside and it is even not available in parts catalogs (refer to all 1Gen. Foresters from Japan Domestic Market). Of course it was not a big problem to choose something that fits in a place- BUT yes, some car makers do this. What is the reason? Do not know, may be they think our modern roads are already dust free environment? Who knows

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seems stupid but you need to cut the opening.
I used Dremel on mine. In Russia we all buy this cap from a guy who makes it on a 3D Printer (around 8$ :)). And there are a dozen of filters that fits perfectly (but GM OEM 52485513)

BTW, GM in not unique in this crazy doing. My 00'Subaru Forester had almost same situation. BUT it has an opening and a cap, but no filter inside and it is even not available in parts catalogs (refer to all 1Gen. Foresters from Japan Domestic Market). Of course it was not a big problem to choose something that fits in a place- BUT yes, some car makers do this. What is the reason? Do not know, may be they think our modern roads are already dust free environment? Who knows
Because most people don't change them.

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller thanks for the information, I knew there was no filter for the newer vehicles but had never heard of the retrofit. Thank you!

K1ms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It says that this is for the 2007 models and up, but it has one of the partnumber you described. Will it fit a 2004?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan