Bypassing factory amp 2001 gmc Yukon XL SLT non Bose aftermarket replacement subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I screwed my bass knob into place I’m gonna sneak the cables into my trim minus power and ground due to it raining outside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 8

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made an amp bypass for my 2001 just like the instructions you posted. It's been so long now (probably 10 years or more since I bypassed it) so I can't remember every single detail. I do remember buying a harness for a Saturn, and I repinned a few of the wires. Then it was plug and play after that, and it's been fine ever since. I do have an aftermarket stereo and aftermarket speakers.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how Metra managed to give me the wrong connector in the correct bag
image.jpg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the exact same connector so I’m just gonna shove the wires into the factory connector

greg716

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I just replaced the factory stereo and speakers in my 2001 non-Bose with factory amp. Not only is the factory amp a P.O.S., it has a built-in crossover that won't send any of the low end frequencies to the door speakers.

The Metra 70-2021 mentioned a few times will work to completely bypass the factory amp (behind the glove box) and send the speaker output from the new head unit directly to the front and rear door speakers, although you do have to swap the wires around (see below). Also, you'll lose the rear "subwoofer" (no big loss there) and the rear tweeters in the door pillars (also, no loss for me). At some point, I'll probably add a powered sub under the back seat but having the new door speakers with full range really sounds good enough for my back-and-forth-to-work-mobile.

To swap wire locations on the harness: Leave A1-A4 and B1-B4 in place and pull out A9-A12 and B9-B12. Then connect as follows:
A1-A9
A2-A10
A3-A11
A4-A12
B1-B9
B2-B10
B3-B11
B4-B12

To me, it was less f@cking around to buy the connector and swap the pins around than to run speaker wires to the amp location and cut/splice all the wires. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh