Buying either a 2008, 2009, or 2010 PPV Tahoe..need advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also hearing that Asia Motors isn't a good place to buy from, that's honestly where the bulk of the vehicles are that I'm looking at.

I guess I should've asked this from the start, but where is the best place to buy one that hasn't been abused by the police and was just a managers car/or drove lightly? Thanks again, I'm just ready to buy this week!

Got my truck from asia. Had it for 2 years and no major mechanical issues

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also hearing that Asia Motors isn't a good place to buy from, that's honestly where the bulk of the vehicles are that I'm looking at.

I guess I should've asked this from the start, but where is the best place to buy one that hasn't been abused by the police and was just a managers car/or drove lightly? Thanks again, I'm just ready to buy this week!

I bought my 2010 from Asia back in October, great experience. I worked with Ali via phone and text for about 2 weeks before I landed on the truck I wanted. Their inventory changes often. Again great experience across the board with them. Sent me pictures of everything I wanted no questions asked.

I flew in to Chicago, Uber'd to the lot and drove it home 750 miles.....drama free. My truck was a federal truck, you can verify that from the RPO code list - look for RPO "GSA"

Also, go for 2010 -2014 where they have the 6L80 aka 6 spd auto; damn near bulletproof transmission.

Paid 13k for a 2010 PPV with 67,000 miles - it was a southern truck from SC

OP
OP
J

Jathur02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 2010 from Asia back in October, great experience. I worked with Ali via phone and text for about 2 weeks before I landed on the truck I wanted. Their inventory changes often. Again great experience across the board with them. Sent me pictures of everything I wanted no questions asked.

I flew in to Chicago, Uber'd to the lot and drove it home 750 miles.....drama free. My truck was a federal truck, you can verify that from the RPO code list - look for RPO "GSA"

Also, go for 2010 -2014 where they have the 6L80 aka 6 spd auto; damn near bulletproof transmission.

I was reading the yelp reviews and they weren't the greatest, but the google reviews were pretty good for Asia motors. I guess some of them scared me a little.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing by flying up there, ubering to the lot, and driving it back home (only around 6 hours). How do you access the RPO code list? That sounds interesting.

It's listed as a PPV and was driven in Florida. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he come down on the truck for you? I'm trying to get him to throw in a third row seat in the deal possibly.

Thanks again for your replies, very helpful.

Last edited:

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine was listed at 15k. I tried negotiating but I didn't have cash in hand so it was tough. He basically said I'll take 15k, fix the small things and ship it to vegas for you.

With the 3rd row, they might not have it. They usually get police vehicles and they dont come with em. Plus you would need the brackets and bolts. Its worth a shot asking though

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine was listed at 15k. I tried negotiating but I didn't have cash in hand so it was tough. He basically said I'll take 15k, fix the small things and ship it to vegas for you.

With the 3rd row, they might not have it. They usually get police vehicles and they dont come with em. Plus you would need the brackets and bolts. Its worth a shot asking though
was that 15k out the door, or 15 plus tax, license, shipping etc.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading the yelp reviews and they weren't the greatest, but the google reviews were pretty good for Asia motors. I guess some of them scared me a little.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing by flying up there, ubering to the lot, and driving it back home (only around 6 hours). How do you access the RPO code list? That sounds interesting.

It's listed as a PPV and was driven in Florida. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he come down on the truck for you? I'm trying to get him to throw in a third row seat in the deal possibly.

Thanks again for your replies, very helpful.

RPO code list is a decal in the glovebox; if you ask them for a picture of it they will get it for you.

Honestly, I think I only beat them down about $500. But the fact I was getting exactly what I wanted, I didn't want to lose it over a couple bucks.

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That was going to be my suggestion. Stick to 2010+ for the 6 speed. I have the 2009 with the 4 speed and its the only thing I truly dislike about my PPV.

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition, I would second the long test drive. Get everything up to full operating temps and 1000% try hit some bumpy roads. My PPV is incredibly harsh, even with new struts. Still trying to track that issue down but nothing has made it any better yet.
Outside of that, I love my PPV. I have fixed a lot of the small nagging issues (lights not working, cracked dash bezel, etc.) and only had 1 major component fail (transmission) in the time I've had it.
Purchased mine with 183k for $6500 for reference.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was going to be my suggestion. Stick to 2010+ for the 6 speed. I have the 2009 with the 4 speed and its the only thing I truly dislike about my PPV.

Yeah I passed on a mint 58,000 mile detective truck in the dark blue metallic because it was an 2009......my wife was like WTF LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar