Buying either a 2008, 2009, or 2010 PPV Tahoe..need advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2009 with 109k miles back in 2018 for $6k, no sales tax at a The local police auction. Hosted once or twice a year by TNT auctions. They have these auctions in various states.

I didn’t do my homework on the transmission. I thought all 2009+ had the 6-speed like the two 2009 civilian models I had in the past. I ended up with the 4-speed :(

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2009 with 109k miles back in 2018 for $6k, no sales tax at a The local police auction. Hosted once or twice a year by TNT auctions. They have these auctions in various states.

I didn’t do my homework on the transmission. I thought all 2009+ had the 6-speed like the two 2009 civilian models I had in the past. I ended up with the 4-speed :(
usually the 4 speed was paired with the 4.8 engine in 09 ~ really solid combo. It was the last year you could get a 4.8 in a Tahoe.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go 6L80, no matter what you do. I owned a 2007 LT before I bought my 2010 PPV, never again will I own a full-size SUV with a 4 speed. The 6 speed makes a WORLD of difference in driving, even from a daily aspect. I actually shopped for a PPV based solely on it having a 6L80, and ended buying my 2010 with 189k miles. Zero regrets, just turned 230k.

Mike_PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would buy the newest vehicle with the least number of miles you can afford.

As far as the hours getting reset, that has been known to happen if the battery runs down. Others have posted on here about that happening to them. As was already stated, thorough inspection and a solid test drive are needed. The engine hours is only a single data point to consider.

This reply may be late, as you may have already purchased your new PPV, but I can confirm that a bad/faulty battery will definitely contribute to a reset hour meter. Mine was a low mileage (81K) '07 PPV purchased 4 years ago. It already had the dual battery system installed, but needed to be jumped nearly every time it was started. The recurring smell of sulfur and the low voltage reading (under 10) on the batter charger, were all good indicators of the failed/failing batteries. I replaced them both with a pair of Interstates from Costco (~$220 total) and somewhere between the last jump/ start, disconnection and replacement with the new batteries, I noticed my hour meter dropped from 8000+ to a new [blank] tally, through no effort of my own. No issues or problems since!

Back on the forum now, as I just had the one rough spot (driver floorboard rot) cut out and replaced. Since the interior is out, Im looking at sound deadener, carpet installation, sourcing some leather seats and perhaps a center console to replace the bench/jumpseat I added when I first got her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz