Buying a used Tahoe - possibilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from 5.3 with AFM. Period. Get 6L engine.
Otherwise, I know, it's not quite your year but - most of the problems he's describing carried over into the later models. GM is not known for taking quick action to fix their issues:

Agreed! Though 6.0L was discontinued after 2009, while the Denali and Escalade got the 6.2L (which I wouldn't mind as well).

2009 was also the first year of the 6L80E transmission, which would be nice to have with that bigger engine. Either way, AFM delete for sure.

Although somehow I'm still partial to the NBS trucks... Easy to work on, great parts availability, super reliable, and I just like the way they drive compared to the newer clunkier rigs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
i find it amusing that i posted this in the section for the 07-14 models. specifically said that i was looking at 2011/2012 models (tho i will likely expand that to include 2010 models), and that i was looking at the 5.3 engine.......

and yet every comment has been a variation of "you should go for an older model!" "you should go for the big engine!" :D

and that one video that was posted with mr super negativity saying how "THIS WILL BREAK"!.... of course things will break. these are old trucks! I would hope that anyone buying any of these trucks is going in with their eyes open and knows that they will have to be either doing the repairs or paying for them. it is inevitable and just part of the process.

For what its worth, I much much prefer the NNBS style of body. I am very comfortable with the 5.3 engine, i have had a few of them apart over the years, and i know that the AFM stupidity will eventually bite me. no problem. it aint nothin that cant be fixed. its just a dumb design decision. so be it.

the 6.2 engine would be cool, but not a single one of the Tahoe's i have looked at this far have one. I am not going to increase my budget just for the extra displacement. I do a little towing, but its nothing that the 5.3 i already drive cant handle, and the 6l80e has an even lower 1st gear.

what i probably didnt state with any decent clarity is what i am actually looking for: input on what to expect in the transmission / transfer case department.
Should I plan on taking a new-to-me tahoe straight to the trans guy and getting it rebuilt? the trucks i have so far looked at, none have specified any work that has been done on the trans. so i have to assume its factory original. That implies repairs incoming right?

and what about the Transfer case? I have never had a 4x4 before, how durable is that transfer case? Should that extra maintenance prompt me to stick with a RWD model?

of the entire truck, the only thing that i am not fully prepared to tackle myself is the transmission or any extensive body work. All the rest of the things can be managed, and since i plan to run this truck out to at least 500,000 miles i expect to be doing a lot of fixing over the next few years. That is still better than buying a newer Tahoe with fold flat seats that waste valuable cargo and tools space. or that HIDEOUS thing that has been labelled the 2022 Tahoe. What a pig.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i find it amusing that i posted this in the section for the 07-14 models. specifically said that i was looking at 2011/2012 models (tho i will likely expand that to include 2010 models), and that i was looking at the 5.3 engine.......

and yet every comment has been a variation of "you should go for an older model!" "you should go for the big engine!" :D

and that one video that was posted with mr super negativity saying how "THIS WILL BREAK"!.... of course things will break. these are old trucks! I would hope that anyone buying any of these trucks is going in with their eyes open and knows that they will have to be either doing the repairs or paying for them. it is inevitable and just part of the process.

For what its worth, I much much prefer the NNBS style of body. I am very comfortable with the 5.3 engine, i have had a few of them apart over the years, and i know that the AFM stupidity will eventually bite me. no problem. it aint nothin that cant be fixed. its just a dumb design decision. so be it.

the 6.2 engine would be cool, but not a single one of the Tahoe's i have looked at this far have one. I am not going to increase my budget just for the extra displacement. I do a little towing, but its nothing that the 5.3 i already drive cant handle, and the 6l80e has an even lower 1st gear.

what i probably didnt state with any decent clarity is what i am actually looking for: input on what to expect in the transmission / transfer case department.
Should I plan on taking a new-to-me tahoe straight to the trans guy and getting it rebuilt? the trucks i have so far looked at, none have specified any work that has been done on the trans. so i have to assume its factory original. That implies repairs incoming right?

and what about the Transfer case? I have never had a 4x4 before, how durable is that transfer case? Should that extra maintenance prompt me to stick with a RWD model?

of the entire truck, the only thing that i am not fully prepared to tackle myself is the transmission or any extensive body work. All the rest of the things can be managed, and since i plan to run this truck out to at least 500,000 miles i expect to be doing a lot of fixing over the next few years. That is still better than buying a newer Tahoe with fold flat seats that waste valuable cargo and tools space. or that HIDEOUS thing that has been labelled the 2022 Tahoe. What a pig.
But, did I mention that the 6.0L and the 6L80E were both available only in the 2009 model year? :anitoof:

All jokes aside, no work being listed on the trans isn't necessarily a big red flag... The fluid is supposed to be good until 150,000 miles (I believe), and aside from fluid exchanges, what else would you like to have seen done? If it ain't broke, why mess with it? If anything, depending on the mileage, just a fluid exchange would suffice imo.

Regarding the transfer case, I haven't heard of any problems to be worried about. That being said, I would not consider a 2WD (personally), but to each is own. However, if you do get the 4WD, take it off dry pavement and put it in 4x4 mode at least every couple months, so it can properly engage regularly.

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
But, did I mention that the 6.0L and the 6L80E were both available only in the 2009 model year? :anitoof:

All jokes aside, no work being listed on the trans isn't necessarily a big red flag... The fluid is supposed to be good until 150,000 miles (I believe), and aside from fluid exchanges, what else would you like to have seen done? If it ain't broke, why mess with it? If anything, depending on the mileage, just a fluid exchange would suffice imo.

Regarding the transfer case, I haven't heard of any problems to be worried about. That being said, I would not consider a 2WD (personally), but to each is own. However, if you do get the 4WD, take it off dry pavement and put it in 4x4 mode at least every couple months, so it can properly engage regularly.

ok, that was another thing i wanted to find out about.

excercising the transfer case.. i get taking it off the pavement because that could break stuff. Should i simply turn into a field, switch to 4wd, and drive in a couple of circles? is that enough, done every month or two, to keep the function healthy?

given the terrible condition of my driveway, and it being a mile long and unpaved... i could just use the driveway as the 4wd excercise

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, AFM disable is the first item on the list anyways. what a stupid idea to switch off half the engine.

two problems that keep me from trying to extend the 2001 - I hit a deer at 65mph- the grill guard saved my bacon, and it only broke the headlight and crunched the fender... but i later discovered that the frame is slightly bent. so, its resale value is only as a parts car now...

also, the clearcoat and paint are all peeling away.

I did find the seats in the 2010 i drove to be very nice :)
but you can save 0.01 gallons of gas per tank x 10 million units

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I personally think it's worth the $1500 (out the door) to have an upgraded billet TC put into the trans and a new rear main seal while they're in there. I had a CVC BU60FHD installed in my 2012 by a local indy transmission shop and it's been great for towing.

And since it seems you're handy, you can bullet-proof the engine by mechanically deleting AFM in a weekend or two with a kit. I did it in my 2012 and gave it even more power in the process.

I'm a fan of the 6.2 because it's so satisfying to drive and just as durable. I had a 5.3 Suburban for a long time, and the first time I test-drove a Yukon XL Denali, I was hooked.

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
I personally think it's worth the $1500 (out the door) to have an upgraded billet TC put into the trans and a new rear main seal while they're in there. I had a CVC BU60FHD installed in my 2012 by a local indy transmission shop and it's been great for towing.

And since it seems you're handy, you can bullet-proof the engine by mechanically deleting AFM in a weekend or two with a kit. I did it in my 2012 and gave it even more power in the process.

I'm a fan of the 6.2 because it's so satisfying to drive and just as durable. I had a 5.3 Suburban for a long time, and the first time I test-drove a Yukon XL Denali, I was hooked.
i finally got to talk to the local transmission guy, and his estimate for the transmission work, including the upgraded torqueconvertor is just shy of $4K.
that is manageable, i can budget for that.

he described the billet convertor in detail and why it is the right way to go. he says its the most important part of turning a 6l80e into a longish life transmission.. apparently the orginal convertor had an aluminum back and it would flex.. leading to bushing wear.. leading to little bits of bushing flowing thru the rest of the trans and eating it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i finally got to talk to the local transmission guy, and his estimate for the transmission work, including the upgraded torqueconvertor is just shy of $4K.
that is manageable, i can budget for that.

he described the billet convertor in detail and why it is the right way to go. he says its the most important part of turning a 6l80e into a longish life transmission.. apparently the orginal convertor had an aluminum back and it would flex.. leading to bushing wear.. leading to little bits of bushing flowing thru the rest of the trans and eating it.
Yes, and the lockup clutch self destructs and sends more shrapnel through the lines.

$4K seems ridiculously high to me for a TC + R&R though.

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
Yes, and the lockup clutch self destructs and sends more shrapnel through the lines.

$4K seems ridiculously high to me for a TC + R&R though.
that is a remove, rebuild, reinstall, and the convertor.

so new frictions and steels, rubber edged piston thingys, seals, the little check balls in the valve body, and all the other bits and bobs, and cleaning out the TCM. He also said about half the 6l80 units come in with cracks on a couple of the drums. so he tig welds those before reassembly.

i see no reason to have a guy pull it out, and put it back with old guts in it. I have been through two transmission fails out on the road... not any fun.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is a remove, rebuild, reinstall, and the convertor.

so new frictions and steels, rubber edged piston thingys, seals, the little check balls in the valve body, and all the other bits and bobs, and cleaning out the TCM. He also said about half the 6l80 units come in with cracks on a couple of the drums. so he tig welds those before reassembly.

i see no reason to have a guy pull it out, and put it back with old guts in it. I have been through two transmission fails out on the road... not any fun.
Sounds like a helluva good plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt