buying a SALVAGE tahoe or yukon !! any opinion ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a salvage unless:

1. I knew the history and exactly why it was salvaged
2. I got such an amazing deal it was almost free
3. I was able to fix it myself cheap
4. I was going to keep it until 300,000 miles or until it won't go any more since it will have very little retail value when trying to sell.

As far as those vehicles, personally I would get the one most loaded, so it looks like one of the last 2. I wouldn't pay more than $7,000-$8,000 for them though. They're wanting $10,000-$12,000 with over 100,000 miles. You can get a used 07 Yukon/Tahoe with 100,000 with a clear title for $19,000-$21,000 and you don't have to worry about + or - $5,000 repairs and having a salvaged vehicle

:2cents:

Last edited:

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a salvage unless:

1. I knew the history and exactly why it was salvaged
2. I got such an amazing deal it was almost free
3. I was able to fix it myself cheap
4. I was going to keep it until 300,000 miles or until it won't go any more since it will have very little retail value when trying to sell.

As far as those vehicles, personally I would get the one most loaded, so it looks like one of the last 2. I wouldn't pay more than $7,000-$8,000 for them though. They're wanting $10,000-$12,000 with over 100,000 miles. You can get a used 07 Yukon/Tahoe with 100,000 with a clear title for $19,000-$21,000 and you don't have to worry about + or - $5,000 repairs and having a salvaged vehicle

:2cents:

What he said.

MABX13

Reaction score
they want way too much for those salvage trucks . especially if they arent even repaired yet

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3 what nathan said. I'd almost have to get a truck for free to consider acquiring a salvage truck unless I was just using it for parts.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I was gonna buy a salvage burb with 12k miles but yea when you have a salvage better be priced a half the retail value. I have a salvage Taurus and no key wants it and its at a sweet price. Remember salvage cars are gonna have problems my Taurus misalighnes the tires quick. IMO if its cheap and you can get it repaired cheap the. Go nuts. Also if frame is damage say hello to skyrocket repair prices

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Prices are high but well its for retail market. I can get one from insurance auction for dealers for about 3-5k depending on miles and year

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed with nathan , I know you don't want to hear that but we are just looking out for you please keep that in mind , One thing to Add NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy flood damaged vehicles . straighting a frame is one thing but electrical issues is a completely different story a guy on base who is a AIRCRAFT electrician recently bought a 2010 chevy silver ado that had flood damage due to our most recent hurricane . the vehicle was submerged up to the door handles for hours on end and tossed around the streets , he picked it up knowing this for 5,000 Insurance papers said it was a total loss. However after 2 weekends of diagnosing electrical issues he gave up he had tallied up a total estimated cost of 6,450 bucks just to replace all of the water damaged electronics , thats not even touching the cosmetics such as carpet, seats headlights ect… He ended up parting it out most of it barely getting back the 5,000 he owed on it . his words "worst decision ever"

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage is always a good way to go but remember they are in the business of selling cars. As I see allot of cars go total there are always things you will never see in a picture. If you are purchasing a salvage vehicle get it from place where you can go see it in person.

Here is a true but eye opening story. There are guys here in ny that buy salvage cars from copart to resell salvage. They fix them (rig) just enough to look 10x better in pictures and put them right back up for auction. Making a quick buck not having to guarantee anything.

Sawmillautoparts here in ny has a dozen or so brand new yukons and escalades from the hurricane and they ain't selling. Check out there website for yourself.

Try to find a stolen recovery. More likely than not it's somebody's truck they couldn't afford and did an insurance job on to get rid of.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only one way I would buy a flood vehicle. And it would be to replace a body and frame of sometime I have that is crashed. Take it apart, put all of your parts on it and have a fresh body and frame and drive it. Also,it makes a big difference on how long they have been underwater. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one knowing that I have to pull the engine, trans apart to clean and inspect. If they have been under and pulled out and sit's around for months, then it would be no. To much rust can set it and ruin a block in a short time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts