Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d probably take the forgiveness versus permission path...lol

Yeah. If I can find a place to keep the truck, it won’t be a problem. I currently have four vehicles in front of my house and a truck bed that’s getting put into the garage that needs some welding and painting done. Trying to not look too redneckish.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmm..... That's a tough one, as the 'forgiveness' would remind her each and every time that she stepped out of the house. I mean, they never forget anyway, but a daily reminder would make daily living much more challenging.
We’ve been married for 21 years so I think she’s used to my projects by now.:rolleyes:

As long as she can park in the garage over winter, she generally goes along with stuff like this.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the body is in good to decent condition--I'd do it. Grab a jy 5.3, and you're set. Plus the boys can help and get some great knowledge. DO IT!!

Would it make sense to tear the motor down and see if I can just replace the cam bearings, or is it a case if once a bearing is spun, the block is shot?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Cheaper, easier and faster to slap a jy motor in it imo
Def cheaper and easier, but if you already have it you can tear it down to show the boys what makes a motor "Tick". If the cam bearings are bad you'll need a machine shop to press them in--I paid $350 for that--and at the very least you'll need a new cam. So......jy is def cheaper and quicker.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheaper, easier and faster to slap a jy motor in it imo

Def cheaper and easier, but if you already have it you can tear it down to show the boys what makes a motor "Tick". If the cam bearings are bad you'll need a machine shop to press them in--I paid $350 for that--and at the very least you'll need a new cam. So......jy is def cheaper and quicker.

Thanks. Makes sense. I’ve never gone that deep into a motor rebuild, but always wanted to give it a try. If I did it, it would be for the experience more than anything. Still need to decide which way to go.

My wife is like “Scope Creep!” I went from looking to get a set of tires for $300 to maybe buying a whole truck for $600 that requires another $600-$1000 worth of work done to it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been married for 21 years so I think she’s used to my projects by now.:rolleyes:

As long as she can park in the garage over winter, she generally goes along with stuff like this.

My wife of 45 years waited over 30 years for me to clear out the garage enough for her to get her car into it. It was so bad way back in the day that one of my sons came running home one day to tell me that he saw a car in one of our neighbor's garage, as he had no idea that a garage was actually supposed to be used for housing cars and not for storing stuff or for working on stuff.

My wife will NEVER give up her long-awaited garage space for her car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz