Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Amen. You did what you could with what you had tool- and time-wise.

Sharing what and how you did something should always be welcomed and appreciated. Not everyone does something the best or worst way. But, just truly knowing WHAT you are doing, best way or not, is valuable to yourself and others.

Now, when someone does something harmful or even life-threatening out of sheer stupidity, especially even after they were warned, that's a whole other story.
Agreed 100%. Thanks and a solid “like” to that. Love this platform, others would flame up.

Definitely noticed more vibration today, I’m hyper sensitive to it all, but definitely there however not unbearable. Can’t imagine what Polys would be like though. I just have one h3 mount and can feel it at a stop light. Again. Hyper sensitive to the point it makes me want to dig into the engine and see what causes the vibration...

I have new sparks and wires, and throttle body cleaned, new air filter. From what I’ve read in the past the emissions requirements caused the slight idle vibration. Shifts great, runs great, just gonna enjoy and if Wife/parents/friends question the slight idle vibration im’a say “Texas Truck”

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this is a normal range of motion or is my motor mount damaged?

Unless you were just really easing into the throttle, it looks to be just stretching a good bit, but it doesn't appear to be broken. When they're broken, the motor will jump up and bump the retaining pin in the mount when you give it throttle, then slam back down when you let off the throttle. It'll be light bumps at first until it wallows itself out and has more room to move, then it'll be hard bumps you can really feel and hear. I'd say yours is still usable at this point. Look at the mount and the frame underneath it for rust-colored trails everywhere. It'll look like rusty water splashed on it and dried. That's the fluid that's inside the mount. If it's busted and leaked, your mount is on the downhill slope.

brbtransformin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless you were just really easing into the throttle, it looks to be just stretching a good bit, but it doesn't appear to be broken. When they're broken, the motor will jump up and bump the retaining pin in the mount when you give it throttle, then slam back down when you let off the throttle. It'll be light bumps at first until it wallows itself out and has more room to move, then it'll be hard bumps you can really feel and hear. I'd say yours is still usable at this point. Look at the mount and the frame underneath it for rust-colored trails everywhere. It'll look like rusty water splashed on it and dried. That's the fluid that's inside the mount. If it's busted and leaked, your mount is on the downhill slope.

Awesome, thanks for the info. It makes sense that some movement is within spec.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mount is definitely bad. Not looking forward to this job but glad it will be one and done with the right mount. Tempted to get it done professionally since I wont have to do it again. Still have nightmares the first time....

My new one probably lasted 30k miles tops. I never really tested it after initial install and maybe 5k miles after.

Rathburn07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. Purchased from Five Star Chevrolet Buick GMC in Warner Robins, GA. Had 8 miles on it when I bought it. I think it has 107k miles on it now. I have had multiple issues with the AFM system (lifters issues), I have a cracked dash just to the left of the airbag on the passenger side, I have a broken motor mount on the drivers side, the oil pressure sensor was an issue (all the way on the back of the engine), I have had issues with all 4 of the door handles, the passenger side mirror will not tilt up or down, and recently a plastic fitting on the radiator hose broke and that.... was a few days in the shop (I mean plastic??). GM is designing nice looking rides but their engineering and spec for cheap parts is destroying their name! They are playing the numbers game and must be winning.
I was told by my local dealer that the motor mount was broken AFTER they had the engine put back together from the lifter replacement which put it in the shop for like 2 weeks. Service guy said, "I probably should have said something while we were in there already but forgot to". I said; "okay how much is that going to cost". His reply; "off the top of my hear $500-$600, it's a known issue with these models".
Yet another "known" issue the customer is left holding the bag for. I would love some help with the cracked dash and the motor mount issue from GM. My current local dealer is Gary Russ Chevrolet in Greenwood, SC (They are about worthless). HELP!!!!

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. Purchased from Five Star Chevrolet Buick GMC in Warner Robins, GA. Had 8 miles on it when I bought it. I think it has 107k miles on it now. I have had multiple issues with the AFM system (lifters issues), I have a cracked dash just to the left of the airbag on the passenger side, I have a broken motor mount on the drivers side, the oil pressure sensor was an issue (all the way on the back of the engine), I have had issues with all 4 of the door handles, the passenger side mirror will not tilt up or down, and recently a plastic fitting on the radiator hose broke and that.... was a few days in the shop (I mean plastic??). GM is designing nice looking rides but their engineering and spec for cheap parts is destroying their name! They are playing the numbers game and must be winning.
I was told by my local dealer that the motor mount was broken AFTER they had the engine put back together from the lifter replacement which put it in the shop for like 2 weeks. Service guy said, "I probably should have said something while we were in there already but forgot to". I said; "okay how much is that going to cost". His reply; "off the top of my hear $500-$600, it's a known issue with these models".
Yet another "known" issue the customer is left holding the bag for. I would love some help with the cracked dash and the motor mount issue from GM. My current local dealer is Gary Russ Chevrolet in Greenwood, SC (They are about worthless). HELP!!!!
Would the motor mount be covered under the 100k mile power train warranty? What mileage were you at when the mechanic noticed it during the lifter replacement?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts