Broken grease fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have Friday now to attempt this.

I bought a small and large size univeral zerk fitting tool on amazon. I'll also pickup the ez out set as suggested just in case.

I'll give it a shot and report back.

I did get everything bolted up today and it drives like a cloud. Love the ride now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So you already did the grease zerk fitting removal and replacement and all back together and all is great? Good! Lot less hassle than sending for another arm and the wait. Remember, ask here first before giving up and sending back. It would always be your choice of course but sometimes old and young farts here have been there and done that crap. I know I have.

I am really glad that it all came together. Now keep grease in the damn things! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get the broken grease fitting out.

Got a new one on there.

I go to put in the grease, and the grease started flying out the bottom. When I did the others, you could see the boot swelling and then eventually some would ooze out.

I am thinking the damn boot is torn and I am going to have to replace the arm anyway. So annoying!

I hope I am wrong. I think I am just gonna roll with it and see what happens. Maybe the boot just got put "into place" from the driving and this is how it's really supposed to work.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get replacement boots for them instead of the whole arm or another ball joint.

When you replaced the grease fitting did you just push the axle back for room or did you separate the spindle/knuckle from the arm? If you did separate, you could have damaged that boot, like you think it is.

Example only: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2848695&jsn=2285

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the axle and strut off, did not remove anything on the knuckle. I'll try to snap a pic

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't forget to align the front end when all done. If that boot is split and you did not do it then you got a new part with a split boot and a broken grease fitting. Did you close inspect to make sure was not a pre-installed part?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe the boot popped off the ball joint???

Good call. The boot should have a rubber covered metal ring inside there at the lip and you have to push it down, all around, to seat it properly. If you find it that way you will want to be sure that where you push it back down and seat it on the ball joint, that surface lip of joint should be dry and the inner edge of the boot as well, so they GRIP each other. If is greasy then it will slip off again.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's correct, the other side just didn't ooze the grease out yet. You can see on the right side, there won't be much room for grease.

51LN1T5Jk4L._AC_.jpg

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got carried way on the passenger side, hopefully that tension releases soon. Either that, or the passenger side is a different design.

20200207_113246.jpg 20200207_113310.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons