Broken grease fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my new Moog lower control arms. I didn't realize the grease fitting came broken on the driver's side.

Can I just screw another fitting in? I was worried some shavings would get in the grease (not sure that even matters)

I can easily pull the axle out again and get a fitting in there. I am kind of a time pinch, do they have any fittings locally anywhere?

Amazon is a week out from another control arm and I don't see this good CK version anywhere locally.

20200204_163942.jpg 20200204_163923.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My arms came with the fittings sealed in separate bags so they could'nt get broken off in shipping or installation. Odd that yours were already installed. You can screw another fitting in there, but if the original one was broken off, it's threads may still be in the ball joint cap. You should be able to tell by wiping it clean and inspecting it with a bright light. If they're in it and it's broken flush, You can use an Easy Out extractor if they make them that small. Or, you may be able to stick a small flat head screwdriver in there and wedge it just enough to grip and remove the piece. Most flat head screwdrivers taper out as they leave the tip so you'd want one that does this and has sharp, square edges to help it grip. You don't wanna wedge it too tight and expand the piece tighter against the threads in the BJ cap.

New fittings are available everywhere- Most any decent hardware store should have them, Lowe's, Home Depot, any of the auto parts stores, Tractor Supply or other farm supply store, etc. You may wanna remove the other one to reference the style and thread size.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tierods came separate and I had to screw them in.

The upper/lower joints came with them installed, except this one. I am thinking maybe it really was just left off and not broken. I may have overlooked the fitting being in the bag or it was just plain missing.

Ill stop at the parts store tomorrow. Happen to know what size? The tierod required a 7mm socket while the balljoints required 8mm.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it wasn't broken off and it just wasn't tight and worked it's way out during shipping.

No, I don't know the size. The wrench size to screw it in could be different from brand to brand, so I wouldn't go by that. It's the thread size that matters. Like I said, just remove the other one and take it with you to compare.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea on removing the other, I will do that.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, grease fitting was broken off inside. What a bummer.

Going to just return it and get another control arm. Probably faster than me trying to monkey around with it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can try the extractor before putting on the new control arm. Would beat having to get two alignments.

I have to drive the truck as is about 600 miles next week. I hope it doesn't ruin the balljoint. I won't have time to try an extractor before then, unfortunately.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the extractor set and be done with it. You'll have to remove the axle shaft either way, but at least you won't have to unbolt the control arm, sway bar link or strut. That $9 to Harbor Freight is a lot less work and you'd add another useful tool to your collection.

It should already have grease in it, at least plenty for that 600 mile trip. Just plug the hole to keep dirt and moisture out and it'll be fine. If you do have a needle tip for your grease gun, you could shoot some in there for good measure.

Have you tried using a short flat head or even Philips bit (like the ones that go into those multi-tool screwdrivers) to get the piece out? A small Torx or hex (Allen) bit might be even better. I'd try biting the bit in some vice grips and tapping it in lightly with a hammer then turning it out. Once you get it turning, you might could release the vice grips and back it out all the way with your fingers. It's not very long at all.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also, if you do put 600 miles on that arm they will likely say you broke it some how and there is no return. Brand new pic out of the box could have saved you but they will likely not look at it that way after 600 miles.

Even if you have to drill that out with a small bit that extractor kit should work. It is new enough that the broken off part in the ball joint should unthread right out of there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts