Broken fuel injector lock clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately broke 3 of the 8 fuel injector clips. 5 released without issues. The other 3 broke when I was releasing the injector plug. They still plug into the injector but they can now be pulled off by just tugging on the wire.

Is this a big deal? Do I need to replace the entire injector plug?

I’d rather not have to cut wires and splice a new connector but if these can easily unplug under normal driving then I’d rather be on the safe side.

This came about because I have a CEL for bank 2 knock sensor and I am replacing both sensors, knock sensor harness and Intake gasket.

2003 suburban 5.3 LM7

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this same job on the family’s 04 yukon and didn’t break a single clip but the plastic on my 03 burb seemed very brittle

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately broke 3 of the 8 fuel injector clips. 5 released without issues. The other 3 broke when I was releasing the injector plug. They still plug into the injector but they can now be pulled off by just tugging on the wire.

Is this a big deal? Do I need to replace the entire injector plug?

I’d rather not have to cut wires and splice a new connector but if these can easily unplug under normal driving then I’d rather be on the safe side.

This came about because I have a CEL for bank 2 knock sensor and I am replacing both sensors, knock sensor harness and Intake gasket.

2003 suburban 5.3 LM7
if you can locate the connectors they can be just be re-pinned, the pins will release and pull out then you just push them in the new connectors.
no need to cut any wires.

OP
OP
Burban22

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and suggestions!

I may run out to the nearby junkyard and see If there are some good connectors left on any GMT 800s out there and attempt to take the connectors apart. If all else fails, I’ll zip tie it until I can properly fix it. Or then forget about it. lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and suggestions!

I may run out to the nearby junkyard and see If there are some good connectors left on any GMT 800s out there and attempt to take the connectors apart. If all else fails, I’ll zip tie it until I can properly fix it. Or then forget about it. lol
they come apart you just need a long sharp tip poker or flat poker to get the pins out
you can buy a 120pc pin kit for $20 and take just about any connector apart without ruining it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you take that yellow clip off then inside will be some rubber seals, those pull up, then the little lock clips are on the side in your photo those push in and then the pin can be pulled out, take a photo of the wires before you start taking any of it apart so you get it back together with the wires in the right spot.
and junkyard is a good source for some, should be the same connector on almost any gm vehicle of the same era
pinout.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts