Broke a lug nut stud.....WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what josh said is true, easy fix if you can get everything off without twisting the tops off of bolts..AHAHA dont use anti seize,,,, just dont tighten them that much...I have been there plenty... If you didnt have 24's and a nice ride I would say you can ride with just 4 studs and be fine

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am just saying that there is no reason to really... I rotate my own tires on all my cars... have custom wheels on my car and previous cars and never have used it... im not saying not too i am just saying as long as you dont give yourself a hernia putting your lugs on then you shouldnt worry about using it... If you can get a torque wrench boss do that....

blue.. I had some KMC's on a car back in the day... they hold up well dont you think..

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, love these KMC's, actually thinking of upgrading to some newer styles...these have been on for 2 years now, time for a change :D

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too bad they arent 8 lug

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

i am sure you can sell them on here in no time...

Man Van

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As it's been stated earlier it's a simple fix. Hammer it out place the new on then tighten the lugnut and it will press in the stud. You should be able to pick up a new wheel stud for $2-$5.

OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As it's been stated earlier it's a simple fix. Hammer it out place the new on then tighten the lugnut and it will press in the stud. You should be able to pick up a new wheel stud for $2-$5.

That's exactly what I did, many thanks to those who posted that including ManVan. You do have to take off the brakes of course to pull off the hub that holds the studs, just heads up.

The bottom line is, when you take your wheels off for ANY reason, you should run your fingers around the threads and check for any rough spots on the studs. If you have a significant rough spot or imperfection in a thread, you should SERIOUSLY consider replacing them before you end up where I'm at - (2) studs broken off by hand and (1) that I'm replacing because it's got rough spots. It's nuking futs. I have a lug nut stuck in my 4way now...had to buy a new one at OReily earlier. I'm replacing 4 studs on the right rear tomorrow.

My (2) lugs actually seized midway through the thread! They weren't on too tight so lock seize would have done probably nothing in my case, the threads were irregular after so many wheel removals.

Hope this helps,
BOSS

DESIGN

Reaction score
Also, next time you remove your lugs hit them with some PB Blaster or other such product and let it sit for a couple of minutes. And for anyone who didn't know do not put them on with an impact driver EVER!

OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz