2014 Yukon 6L80E 2wd probs:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddmonkeyy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have kind of an odd one i recently acquired a '14 yukon SLT 2wd with 180k evertyhing works great strong motor, I have been having issues with the 6L80 1-2 is somewhat normal 2-3 little high 3-4 slips then instantly goes in but not hard and will shift into 5-6 ok when a decent temp after a while it will struggle to go into 5-6 and 2-3. Saturday night I had someone change the oil on trans because it was dark brown/black but it did nit smell burnt dropped the pan and no metal shavings either magnet was clean. changed filter and fresh oil and it got somewhat better but still struggling I had 2 codes a P0700 and a P0741 any one have and suggestions or experienced the same is my trans toast? any help would be appreciated.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have kind of an odd one i recently acquired a '14 yukon SLT 2wd with 180k evertyhing works great strong motor, I have been having issues with the 6L80 1-2 is somewhat normal 2-3 little high 3-4 slips then instantly goes in but not hard and will shift into 5-6 ok when a decent temp after a while it will struggle to go into 5-6 and 2-3. Saturday night I had someone change the oil on trans because it was dark brown/black but it did nit smell burnt dropped the pan and no metal shavings either magnet was clean. changed filter and fresh oil and it got somewhat better but still struggling I had 2 codes a P0700 and a P0741 any one have and suggestions or experienced the same is my trans toast? any help would be appreciated.

P0741 is a converter clutch performance code...there's a TSB available for it. TCC is either slipping or the solenoid itself in the TEHCM is bad.

Slipping in 3rd, 5th and/or Reverse is typically 3-5-R drum leaking at the base welds. Black fluid = burnt clutch material.

I'd start planning for an overhaul or replacement in the near future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reddmonkeyy

reddmonkeyy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P0741 is a converter clutch performance code...there's a TSB available for it. TCC is either slipping or the solenoid itself in the TEHCM is bad.

Slipping in 3rd, 5th and/or Reverse is typically 3-5-R drum leaking at the base welds. Black fluid = burnt clutch material.

I'd start planning for an overhaul or replacement in the near future.
man what a bummer guess I’ll start looking for someone to rebuild it thanks for the help!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man what a bummer guess I’ll start looking for someone to rebuild it thanks for the help!
You're welcome and sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Check out my 6L80 Info thread if you havent already - link is in my signsture. It has a big list of parts needed and other resources for you so you can prepare for discussions with transmission shops. You want to find someone that knows these units well as there's a lot of updating that has to be done...

OP
OP
reddmonkeyy

reddmonkeyy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're welcome and sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Check out my 6L80 Info thread if you havent already - link is in my signsture. It has a big list of parts needed and other resources for you so you can prepare for discussions with transmission shops. You want to find someone that knows these units well as there's a lot of updating that has to be done...
I managed to find a 6l80 for sale with stock torque converter local what else do I need to do the swap I’ve heard once installed I need to tow it to dealership to get it programmed aside from replacement 6l80 and TC what else is needed to complete the swap TIA

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed to find a 6l80 for sale with stock torque converter local what else do I need to do the swap I’ve heard once installed I need to tow it to dealership to get it programmed aside from replacement 6l80 and TC what else is needed to complete the swap TIA
Glad you mentioned that for your sake - you need to pull the pan on the one for sale and confirm that the TEHCM's part number is identical to the part number on the TEHCM in your current transmission. If they're different, the new one will have to be reprogrammed to make it work. And 'Reprogramming' does NOT equal 'Fast Adapt Relearn' as the latter is a routine procedure normally performed after trans service work is done (other than fluid/filter changes) while reprogramming consists of altering/changing the specific operating system loaded onto that unit for whichever application it was originally made for.

I'd steer away from buying used transmissions in general...If you're going to deal with it correctly, either completely overhaul it or replace with a GM reman unit...

OP
OP
reddmonkeyy

reddmonkeyy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned that for your sake - you need to pull the pan on the one for sale and confirm that the TEHCM's part number is identical to the part number on the TEHCM in your current transmission. If they're different, the new one will have to be reprogrammed to make it work. And 'Reprogramming' does NOT equal 'Fast Adapt Relearn' as the latter is a routine procedure normally performed after trans service work is done (other than fluid/filter changes) while reprogramming consists of altering/changing the specific operating system loaded onto that unit for whichever application it was originally made for.

I'd steer away from buying used transmissions in general...If you're going to deal with it correctly, either completely overhaul it or replace with a GM reman unit...
Ok looks like I’m going the rebuild route my local trans shop that rebuilt my 04 Tahoe is charging my 1850 with new TC installed and everything set so I think that’s a fair price.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok looks like I’m going the rebuild route my local trans shop that rebuilt my 04 Tahoe is charging my 1850 with new TC installed and everything set so I think that’s a fair price.
$1850? For a complete rebuild and removal/reinstallation? Ummm, there's no way unless he's doing you some sort of major favor...My typical bench build is between 4200-4500 for one of these units....Most shops will charge between 5500-7000 for everything including r/r, fluid, line flushing, cooler flushing and fast adapt relearn.

OP
OP
reddmonkeyy

reddmonkeyy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
$1850? For a complete rebuild and removal/reinstallation? Ummm, there's no way unless he's doing you some sort of major favor...My typical bench build is between 4200-4500 for one of these units....Most shops will charge between 5500-7000 for everything including r/r, fluid, line flushing, cooler flushing and fast adapt relearn.
That’s south Texas for you man lol he rebuilt my 4l80 with billet internals, shift kit, corvette servo, and bigger tc for 2400 been going on two years and lots of street racing and been holding like a champ but I’m just going to do a stock rebuild on this ‘14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts