Broke a lug nut stud.....WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pulling off the rear wheels today after a long drive and along with the nut came half the stud! WTF!? Anyone ever do this? How to fix?
:emotions122:

I am struggling to figure this out, it didn't break at the point on the stud where the nut sits against my 24s, but almost halfway off the stud it snapped. It was hard to turn the entire length of the stud.

Another lug was just as hard to get off the length of the stud, no debris on the stud except some metal shavings as I twisted the **** out of the nut off.

I noticed that the studs were very warm to the touch - could metal flex be that be one reason why these two things happened? Am I retarted?

:supergay:
BOSS

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope....drive down to a wheel shop, see if they can get you new studs pressed in....use antiseize on threads when installing your lugs.

OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks blue.

That's ******* gay.

:wtf2:
BOSS

Josh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced three of mine on my grand prix last year. I'm guessing the same style pressed in ones. I had to pull the caliper and rotors off and then hammered the bad ones out the backside and put the new ones in. When I put the wheels back on with the new studs, the torque of the lugnut pulled the stud right into place. I just went to NAPA and got the studs. They were pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know man, someone wrenched that sucker down last time :D

I wonder who that could have been :confused:

BOSS

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Gracias

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
oh man, antiseize is NASTY shit... gets all over the place and just ******* all around gross...

that is a really ****** problem man, let me know what it cost to get it fixed, just so i know if i ever run into this problem in the future

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wipe a light coating of wheel bearing grease on the threads every other time I take off my wheels, I have broke off 2 different studs in my lifetime but haven't had a problem with a single one since I started with the grease!!

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
Were the lugnuts the correct size for the studs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz