Brand new '07 GMC Yukon owner, and new to the car world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gonna have to stay on top of everything when in a rust state. If has none now, get it undercoated. Also, when you start building tool collection, if you haven't already, let us know what you are thinking of getting and brand and exactly what is your mechanical knowledge base?
Definitely. Do you have any recommendations for some must haves for beginner tools? and ive been looking at some rust prevention stuff but honestly i have no idea what to get.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

As has already been mentioned, folks here are willing to help. Not sure what your situation is with your father, but today is a new day.

As for tools, I have had good luck getting tools on the cheap by hitting up garage sales and even 2nd hand stores. Get the basics first and then add on as budget and need dictate.

When asking for help here, please understand that folks will be trying to explain stuff via words so be patient and understand that if something comes across as rude or mean, that is generally not going to be what’s meant. Sometimes we forget what we didn’t know coming out of the gate when we were starting out so we may skip over some things that we think are basics.

Youtube is a good source, but watch three or four different videos on a topic. You will soon find that some guys really know their stuff while others are like “hey, hold my beer while I make a video quick!” The time a guy was smoking a cigarette and not using non-sparking tools to remove a fuel pump was classic. Was waiting to see the video end in a fireball.
my bad didn't mean to be serious about my dad at all that was just a joke, but honestly i have had no one teach my mechanical stuff at all, so all my knowledge currently comes from chrisfix on youtube. but thank you for the welcome, and i love you suburban!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Definitely. Do you have any recommendations for some must haves for beginner tools? and ive been looking at some rust prevention stuff but honestly i have no idea what to get.
I'd start with a metric socket set for sure. Something decent--doesn't need to be uber expensive. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have some DECENT hand tools--Do it yourself/Shade tree quality stuff. That'll hold you over for some basic fix it stuff---Some jack stands, a decently rated floor jack, hammer, set of screw drivers, pliers, channel locks, oil filter wrench, so you can change your own oil--and a small/medium sized tool box to hold your tools. Should be set for awhile.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my bad didn't mean to be serious about my dad at all that was just a joke, but honestly i have had no one teach my mechanical stuff at all, so all my knowledge currently comes from chrisfix on youtube. but thank you for the welcome, and i love you suburban!
No worries. I made no assumptions one way or another about your relationship with your dad. I was very fortunate to have a dad that taught me a lot about build and fix things. I also know that not everyone had that opportunity. What I meant by it’s a new day is you can start learning how to work on your vehicles now. I’ve been working with tools since I was very young and am still learning new things from the guys here.

I look forward to watching and helping you learn.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you get the jack stands at Harbor Freight by any chance? There is a safety recall on some Harbor freight jack stands that some members here also had and had to turn back in. Someone here will remember which ones and hopefully chime in. Also, what floor jack and what weight rating? Good idea to ALWAYS have at least one jack stand set under where you may be crawling and the weight set down on it and not just suspended above a jack stand on the floor jack. Get a good flashlight and may want to start out with a mechanics stethoscope because they are inexpensive and great for tracking noises down.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess we will find out soon enough. You have a young man with no knowledge of cars that just purchased a used vehicle. Need to be patient and walk him through issues as they come up.

Absolutely. I'm kinda anxious to get the details. Could've just been a nice family or friend deal.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Welcome from WI!

For rust preventative I can tell you to see about having a shop spray it inside the fenders and rocker panels. You can use Fluidfilm for the frame and underbody. Either spray it or brush it on. Just buy a cheap tyvek suit you can toss after getting all covered in that stinky stuff.

Best advice I can give is to use this forum to your advantage. Lots of good advice here. And, before you run down looking a modifications you should make sure it is up To date on any basic maintenance needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62