Brand new '07 GMC Yukon owner, and new to the car world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
okay i guess ill share the story on how i got the thing. I bought the Yukon from my best friends mother. Shes owned the truck for as long as I've known her so at least 4 years, but if i recall correctly i think she bought it in 13' or 14'. I've always loved this truck and its picked me up from many wrestling practices and brought me to school early in the morning many times thought the years. so now ive graduated and working and have been saving up for a car and i had saved up around 5k to look for a good used car. about the same time i started seriously looking for a car, my Friends parents Yukon threw a check engine light. These are also the kind of people who would never work on there own cars and when something goes wrong, they can just trade it in for a new one. so, one day while over my friends house for whatever reason we started talking about the truck. she had told me that she didn't like the fact that the dash was cracked, and the glass in the gauge cluster was cracked, but because the truck threw a check engine light she was gonna go trade it in for a new Tahoe. i jokingly said i would give her everything in my saving account for truck today, which was about 5000 dollars. to my complete surprise she said yes and that is basically how i got the Yukon. I love it and have some really good memories with it, and i know ill make more.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you get the jack stands at Harbor Freight by any chance? There is a safety recall on some Harbor freight jack stands that some members here also had and had to turn back in. Someone here will remember which ones and hopefully chime in. Also, what floor jack and what weight rating? Good idea to ALWAYS have at least one jack stand set under where you may be crawling and the weight set down on it and not just suspended above a jack stand on the floor jack. Get a good flashlight and may want to start out with a mechanics stethoscope because they are inexpensive and great for tracking noises down.
i got the jackstands from amazon, they seem pretty well made, and my floor jack is something that definitely will need an upgrade in the future, its a 2 ton weighted jack but its pretty tiny and seems cheaply made, i rushed to put that a jack stand while using it i dont trust it at all, but i revived the floor jack for free so it was nice.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i guess ill share the story on how i got the thing. I bought the Yukon from my best friends mother. Shes owned the truck for as long as I've known her so at least 4 years, but if i recall correctly i think she bought it in 13' or 14'. I've always loved this truck and its picked me up from many wrestling practices and brought me to school early in the morning many times thought the years. so now ive graduated and working and have been saving up for a car and i had saved up around 5k to look for a good used car. about the same time i started seriously looking for a car, my Friends parents Yukon threw a check engine light. These are also the kind of people who would never work on there own cars and when something goes wrong, they can just trade it in for a new one. so, one day while over my friends house for whatever reason we started talking about the truck. she had told me that she didn't like the fact that the dash was cracked, and the glass in the gauge cluster was cracked, but because the truck threw a check engine light she was gonna go trade it in for a new Tahoe. i jokingly said i would give her everything in my saving account for truck today, which was about 5000 dollars. to my complete surprise she said yes and that is basically how i got the Yukon. I love it and have some really good memories with it, and i know ill make more.

Great score and bless her!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the jackstands from amazon, they seem pretty well made, and my floor jack is something that definitely will need an upgrade in the future, its a 2 ton weighted jack but its pretty tiny and seems cheaply made, i rushed to put that a jack stand while using it i dont trust it at all, but i revived the floor jack for free so it was nice.

This is a 3-ton SUV. Yes, you're lifting less than half that, but it's still a lot on a 2-ton jack. For a good budget jack, it's tough to beat the 3-ton floor jacks from Harbor Freight.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Very good get on that rig for $5000. You scored big time. Depends on the jack stands that you got, post pics and name and what the weight rating is. I agree about the 3 ton jack for the future and some decent buys at Harbor freight for them. The thing about a floor jack is that you never ever want to crawl under with just the floor jack holding the rig up. Use it to lift, set the stand and let the weight down. I would have 4 of those jack stands as well. Setting the weight down on just 2 leaves the rig at an angle and if stand is not set just right, with proper knowledge and experience like I have and many here do, that weight can shift and slide on jack stand. Get yourself a couple of large solid rubber wheel chocks to set at the tires that are not lifted when you lower the rig down on the 2 stands. That way the rig stands much less chance of shifting when lowering the rig to the 2 stands. Is always a good idea to use the chocks again when you have 4 stands and you take 2 out to lower the rig and the chocks keep the rig from moving as you set the rig back down at that one end.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can also get an inexpensive scanner for the code(s) and post those here or go to an auto parts store and they will pull the codes for you. When you do that make a complete list of those codes and post them here and we will dig in to track down the possibilities of what could be going on. Have them then clear the code(s) and drive to see if the light comes back and if it does, get them to pull codes again to see if the same code came back. I have seen a rig run fine and a momentary glitch caused a code, cleared the code and that code never came back. Do you have any driveability problems when that light is on? Is the light on solid all the time? Does it go out and then back on again later? You may have said all this but I am old enough that I want new info. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667