Brakes squeal when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if nothing else try some premium ceramic pads there very quiet, pretty much silent and last longer

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
I think I found the source of my brake squealing. It's in passenger front brake pad on back side of caliper. The driver’s front rotor on the inside is smooth and clean. The passenger front rotor is rough and has a lot of dust on it, enough to make my finger dark with the dust. This tells me that the pad on the inside of the caliper is not making contact. Maybe worn so much that the wear sensor is contacting the rotor

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn’t bed the pads in they might have glazed over. You’ll have to pull the pads to inspect for that so if you’re going to pull them to do anything else be sure to look for that.

Sticking calipers will cause glazing too. That happened on my rear brakes.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I found the source of my brake squealing. It's in passenger front brake pad on back side of caliper. The driver’s front rotor on the inside is smooth and clean. The passenger front rotor is rough and has a lot of dust on it, enough to make my finger dark with the dust. This tells me that the pad on the inside of the caliper is not making contact. Maybe worn so much that the wear sensor is contacting the rotor
It’s unlikely that you went completely through the new pad in 2 months. I say it’s time to pull the pads and inspect.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
My local mechanic today pulled the wheel on front passenger side. Rotors are smooth on both sides (I was feeling a metal housing not rotor). He did notice that rotor was slightly warped when he turned the wheel hub. Was hard to turn at one point. He thinks this may be what’s causing the squeal. Recommended turning rotors, both front, with a new surface.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
My local mechanic today pulled the wheel on front passenger side. Rotors are smooth on both sides (I was feeling a metal housing not rotor). He did notice that rotor was slightly warped when he turned the wheel hub. Was hard to turn at one point. He thinks this may be what’s causing the squeal. Recommended turning rotors, both front, with a new surface.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Mechanic turned both front rotors. Was fine for a day, but squealing returned a few hours later, even worse than before. It’s only on light braking like coming to a stop. Harder braking doesn’t make noise. Mechanic said my bearing hubs should be replaced, noticed this when he pulled rotors off. Could this be causing squeal?

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Mechanic turned both front rotors. Was fine for a day, but squealing returned a few hours later, even worse than before. It’s only on light braking like coming to a stop. Harder braking doesn’t make noise. Mechanic said my bearing hubs should be replaced, noticed this when he pulled rotors off. Could this be causing squeal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts