Brakes: OEM vs After market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe Z71, with 40K mostly city miles. I'm still on the original brakes, which is amazing to me given the way I drive, and the fact I came from a Land Rover D2 which had to replace pads and rotors every 20k.

So my question is, are after market really that much better than what I already consider to be really good?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe Z71, with 40K mostly city miles. I'm still on the original brakes, which is amazing to me given the way I drive, and the fact I came from a Land Rover D2 which had to replace pads and rotors every 20k.

So my question is, are after market really that much better than what I already consider to be really good?
What does your DIC say for average mpg?

OP
OP
T

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And I thought I drive like formula 1. I do only drive about 6k a year.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve only ever done OEM standard brakes for replacements. This time around, even though I still had quite a bit of time left with my last set of brakes, I upgraded to R1 concepts drilled, slotted rotors and their matching pads. All I can say is the difference in brake performance is astounding! Mind you I’m not a race car driver, but I live in the mountains with windy curvy roads with lots of grades. So I want good brakes for driving up and down the mountain to city areas, which I do quite often. But the performance is amazing over OEM quality. My Denali XL, are is my buff that works on it for me call is-the tank, stops on a dime. I put my foot on the brake pedal and it’s a fast response. And the best part is that brake dust is minimal, which for this detailer who’s knceredibly **** about keeping his trick clean, that’s perfect! Check them out!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ceramic pads stop better, less dust, more wear on rotors compared with metallic pads. I am fine with OE metallic pads for as long as they'll be available. They stop fine at the drag strip and in the hills. Have not towed yet. My original brakes went to 57K miles. Changed the second set of rear pads plus new rotors at 121K and just about due for new pads and rotors up front now, 126K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667