Brake rotor thickness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
So I'm starting to get some pulse in the brakes and want to find out the thickness specs for the brake rotors. Maybe my google'izer is not working properly, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the specs.

I want to know the minimum thickness the rotors can be to have them turned. If they're below that I'll just buy new rotors.

2006 Tahoe, LT 4wd.

Thanks!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The minimum thickness should be cast into the rotor. Might have to use a wire brush to clean it off to read it.

The shop that turns the rotors will measure them before they turn them and they can tell you if turning them would make them too thin. Since turning them will remove some material, they need to be somewhat thicker than the minimum, before turning.

OP
OP
A

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
Thanks, yes i understand the info may be on the rotor, but i've got to believe there is a database of that information. I'd like to know before i take it to my brake guy. Like i said, if they are not "turnable" i'll just replace the rotors myself

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front JC3,JC4,JH2 nominal 1.142 discard 1.083
Rear JC3,JC4,JH2 nominal 1.181 discard 1.122
Front JH6 nominal 1.496 discard 1.437
Rear JH6 nominal 1.142 discard 1.083

OP
OP
A

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
Hmmmm, so according to your vid, slotted and drilled rotors look cool, but add no performance to your vehicle. OK, I've certainly bolted stuff on my truck that look cool and don't improve performance. And I thought brake dust was more a function of the brake pads rather than the rotors. If anything, slotted rotors may create more dust due to the edge of the slots.

I went with solid rotors, mainly based on this vid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruben03yukonDenal

Latest posts