Brake Light Switch Broke – Stuck in Park - not cool at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan_G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t like the design of the park interlock switch on my 2007 Yukon Denali. This weekend I parked my truck in the driveway. I had planned to leave in like 5 minutes. Instead, I come out, start the truck and it’s stuck in park. So ... the thing sat in the driveway blocking everything for a few days. I would have liked to move it back into the garage but I couldn't move the truck. It was of course the brake light switch. No brake lights at all. I have no issue with changing the part. These things fail, I get that. What I don't get is the problems this failed switch causes. The park interlock never sees that you stepped on the brake and never disengages. The truck is just permanently stuck in park.

This is crazy to me. As far as I know, there is no park interlock override. So if this happens to you – you’re done. I mean, you can’t even tow the car – you are just done. What are you going to do - drag it onto a flatbed? I have never seen anything like this. Every other car has a park interlock override. You pop out the little plug, stick you key in there and then just shift the car out of park. Simple right. Well not on the 2007 Yukon.

GM should recall every single one of these cars and fix this. What if you are traveling with the family? This is just the stupidest design ever since the beginning or end of time. Who designs a vehicle like this? There is just no excuse for this. If anyone knows a way to get this thing out of park in these circumstances without tools please let me know.

In my case, it was no problem. I just ordered the $8 switch and waited a few days. It’s a 5 minute job to swap the thing out. I have other vehicles. But, this is a scary failure. I just can’t believe there is no override switch to get the thing out of park. Maybe I’ll order a spare switch and carry that and a 10mm ***** in the glove box. This was not cool GM - not cool at all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the design of the park interlock switch on my 2007 Yukon Denali. This weekend I parked my truck in the driveway. I had planned to leave in like 5 minutes. Instead, I come out, start the truck and it’s stuck in park. So ... the thing sat in the driveway blocking everything for a few days. I would have liked to move it back into the garage but I couldn't move the truck. It was of course the brake light switch. No brake lights at all. I have no issue with changing the part. These things fail, I get that. What I don't get is the problems this failed switch causes. The park interlock never sees that you stepped on the brake and never disengages. The truck is just permanently stuck in park.

This is crazy to me. As far as I know, there is no park interlock override. So if this happens to you – you’re done. I mean, you can’t even tow the car – you are just done. What are you going to do - drag it onto a flatbed? I have never seen anything like this. Every other car has a park interlock override. You pop out the little plug, stick you key in there and then just shift the car out of park. Simple right. Well not on the 2007 Yukon.

GM should recall every single one of these cars and fix this. What if you are traveling with the family? This is just the stupidest design ever since the beginning or end of time. Who designs a vehicle like this? There is just no excuse for this. If anyone knows a way to get this thing out of park in these circumstances without tools please let me know.

In my case, it was no problem. I just ordered the $8 switch and waited a few days. It’s a 5 minute job to swap the thing out. I have other vehicles. But, this is a scary failure. I just can’t believe there is no override switch to get the thing out of park. Maybe I’ll order a spare switch and carry that and a 10mm ***** in the glove box. This was not cool GM - not cool at all.

Many decades ago, twice, I ran over busted tires from the rig in front of me. When I went to put the car in park, the shifter just moved around and did nothing. Eventually, I remembered how everything worked and put the parking brake on, crawled under the car and manually moved the selector to park. I believe we can do the same. Actually, writing this jarred my memory, we did it about two years ago on our 2004 Montana too. Wife "got stuck" and I drove over and put the car into drive and then when she got home, put it into park for her and then we fixed the cable on that one as well.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had brake switches fail on each one of my ‘07, ‘08 & ‘09 Yukons & Suburban, but have never experienced this particular issue. They seem to all have failed in the “brake applied” condition keeping my brake lights on and turning off cruise control. I have actually considered just keeping one in the glove box along with a wrench just in case I’m traveling and it jacks with the cruise.

There have been times that I was not able to shift from Park, but that was because my wheel was turned such that it was applying pressure on the interlock and had to turn the steering wheel slightly to let it release. I am assuming this was not the case in your situation though.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the vehicle can be towed by using dollies under the rear wheels and lifting the front (or vice versa) if AWD. Do NOT drag an AWD onto a flatbed using the plastic skids tow drivers use if it’s stuck in park or you’ll spend hours getting it off. Believe me, I know. Don’t ask how.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Scary thought for sure. I wonder if this was an issue with the NBS trucks as well or just the NNBS platform?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 00 the brake switch would sometimes shift out of position and the only thing it ever did was just not make the brake lights work

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was broke when I bought it. Only thing it did was cause the cruise to not work. Bought it at a part store and fixed it when I got home. Reminds me I should get another one along with a wrench to keep in the glove box. Would hate to be away from home and not have cruise.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autozone or any parts store has these in stock. Like james said, jump under... with someone in the truck, brake and e brake applied, shift it into drive or park and move truck out of way. Many ways to tow the truck while its in park without damaging it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Scary thought for sure. I wonder if this was an issue with the NBS trucks as well or just the NNBS platform?
No. You just need to be able to turn the ignition in the NBS which I couldn’t after some jackasses tried to steal it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz