Brake Light Switch - adjustable pedal model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KVacek

Reaction score
Cruise has been out a year or more and the Tech 2 shows the brake light switch inpo (though we still have brrake lights)

Ordered the one Amazon insisted I needed and then sent it back and ordered the right one which they now recognize as fitting my truck. It's got adjustable pedals whether they believe it or not.

I'm mid-70/s, tall, not fat, and have been doing this sort of thing since before I had a driver's license. I once thought it was fun...

The seat is still out because I had to go over and over it, finally apparently lucking out that the "brain" gave up on whatever presets were keeping the slides from actually moving full travel. When the bugs got thick enough last night before dark it magically returned to proper operation. With the seat in place there's no way this old guy could see the switch much less fight (and not break, and lose, and find) the clip, and attempt several tiimes to get it back together with the new POS switch.

Rant mode on...
Nothing significant in the history of the world has been done with snap-together plastic. Sorry if you grew up with Legos. Never saw that toy crap till we had grandchildren. Erector sets like I had (and my father before me) are steel and use screws to assemble. Like real machinery. Like reality. Not like an imaginary plastic dragon.

Nothing decently made comes from third-world * hole countries. Not even expensive but crappily made snap-together plastic switches for allegedly "Professional Grade" trucks.

After the third time the ***king switch fell apart while I worked in a 1/2" wide slot above the brake pedal trying to assemble the bizarre mess blind, barely enough room for a screwdriver alongside the fragile POS part, with little space for light to get in there, and the cable end that needs to go onto the pedal shaft off at a crazy angle with no way to touch and align it, I decided to order another switch and glue the living s*it out of it before installing it, since snapping plastic together has little strength.

But Dr. Evil and his merry (should I say gay) band of Amazonians raised the price from the $22 with tax I paid the other day to $34 today. And their delivery promiese are worth as much as Dr. Evil's hair. Might be here in a few days - certainly not tomorrow as they promised.

Truck dead in the driveway.

GM used to make such great vehicles.

Rand OFF

There, I feel better, if sore and screwed.

But I got to live in the real world of real cars made by real people and designed by real humans, before the news told everyone to buy a plastic Toyota with celarly superior metric fasteners and insta-rust steel.

Those were great cars. Sure wish they were still made.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cruise has been out a year or more and the Tech 2 shows the brake light switch inpo (though we still have brrake lights)

Ordered the one Amazon insisted I needed and then sent it back and ordered the right one which they now recognize as fitting my truck. It's got adjustable pedals whether they believe it or not.

I'm mid-70/s, tall, not fat, and have been doing this sort of thing since before I had a driver's license. I once thought it was fun...

The seat is still out because I had to go over and over it, finally apparently lucking out that the "brain" gave up on whatever presets were keeping the slides from actually moving full travel. When the bugs got thick enough last night before dark it magically returned to proper operation. With the seat in place there's no way this old guy could see the switch much less fight (and not break, and lose, and find) the clip, and attempt several tiimes to get it back together with the new POS switch.

Rant mode on...
Nothing significant in the history of the world has been done with snap-together plastic. Sorry if you grew up with Legos. Never saw that toy crap till we had grandchildren. Erector sets like I had (and my father before me) are steel and use screws to assemble. Like real machinery. Like reality. Not like an imaginary plastic dragon.

Nothing decently made comes from third-world * hole countries. Not even expensive but crappily made snap-together plastic switches for allegedly "Professional Grade" trucks.

After the third time the ***king switch fell apart while I worked in a 1/2" wide slot above the brake pedal trying to assemble the bizarre mess blind, barely enough room for a screwdriver alongside the fragile POS part, with little space for light to get in there, and the cable end that needs to go onto the pedal shaft off at a crazy angle with no way to touch and align it, I decided to order another switch and glue the living s*it out of it before installing it, since snapping plastic together has little strength.

But Dr. Evil and his merry (should I say gay) band of Amazonians raised the price from the $22 with tax I paid the other day to $34 today. And their delivery promiese are worth as much as Dr. Evil's hair. Might be here in a few days - certainly not tomorrow as they promised.

Truck dead in the driveway.

GM used to make such great vehicles.

Rand OFF

There, I feel better, if sore and screwed.

But I got to live in the real world of real cars made by real people and designed by real humans, before the news told everyone to buy a plastic Toyota with celarly superior metric fasteners and insta-rust steel.

Those were great cars. Sure wish they were still made.
you can still drive it, just use hand signals lol (perfectly legal), cruise of course will not work....

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
Because I need it now, not in a week. And shipping cost. And does RA really even have it? RA often shows up in searches even when they don't actually even carry the product I'm searching for, so unless it's a significant part or I need enough stuff to make the shipping not so expensive, I don't bother with them.

Please understand that I HATE Amazon and their *****-rocket-owning leader, but they sell geniune GM and I can get stuff in a day or two at the most.

This is fairly urgent because the driver's seat is already out anyway. I don't want to put it back in just to use the truck one day and then take it out again, and there's NO WAY I could contort myself to do the job with the seat in place.

Look at the photo with my name. THAT is a real machine. Virtually no plastic. Designed in the mid-1930's, to be maintained by farm boys and flown by farm boys on their way to flying fighters.

It's an honor to be able to own, work on, and fly that machine. Won't be able to affort to keep it much longer, with insurance, gas, and hangar costs up up up.

And it used to be an honor to own, maintain, and drive real GM vehicles.

Can't buy either one new any more and haven't been able to for years. Both quickly receding into history.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You already have the best GMT800 platform truck. I don't like the newer models either and am also partial to the GMT400 platform as well. After working in the auto/light truck field for 35+ years, I have seen the quality go south in the newer models, IMO. There are many threads on here of getting counterfeit GM parts on Amazon and better luck on RA. Hell, if you want it quick and want to avoid the shipping, buy the part at the dealer. But there you also run in to availability and back order problems.

I am a big guy at 6'4" and 280 and am 70 years old and have trouble under dashes too but it may be that instead of the part itself. Frustration leads to pointing blame elsewhere. Hell, I do it all the time. There is a member here selling a beautiful GMT400 rig out of Spokane, Wa. and it has no rust and low mileage. I am thinking about buying it myself.
https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/spokane-1998-chevrolet-tahoe-two-door/7669029166.html

With the driver's seat out, I would think that the switch would be easier. Or, just remove the pedal assembly and do it.

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
VietVet
Thank you for your service
I'd gladly remove the pedal assembly (this is the adjustable one) rather than fight this flimsy switch 3 inches up into a 1/2" blind slot.

Hint as to where to start ? Yes, I have All Data and will look there.

Thanks !
Karl
PS
If we had the money I'd gladly buy another rustfree one, preferably not newer than my Tech 2 can handle. But...
Our taxes here eat us up and we're not in a position to sell the house yet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
All Data is a great place to start and I also like to look at several you tube videos. I say several because some of them are worthless. You may see a few ways to do it and pick the best way for you. There may even just be videos for replacing the switch without removing pedal assembly.

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
I'll be hiding now

When I finally got the clip off the other day, and it flew into parts unknown, the switch fell off.

Fighting with what turned out to be pre-broken switch took more attention.

Long story short
I was putting the switch in upside down, because that's what I thought I saw before the original one fell off.

I'll be hiding over in the corner now.

Enjoy laughing at a senile old coot.

And thanks for all the advice.

Karl

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be hiding now

When I finally got the clip off the other day, and it flew into parts unknown, the switch fell off.

Fighting with what turned out to be pre-broken switch took more attention.

Long story short
I was putting the switch in upside down, because that's what I thought I saw before the original one fell off.

I'll be hiding over in the corner now.

Enjoy laughing at a senile old coot.

And thanks for all the advice.

Karl
I think a number of us have been there. Takes a big man to admit such a mistake.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think a number of us have been there. Takes a big man to admit such a mistake.
Hey, in my Garage thread, you will see where I recently did an oil change on a 2020 Acura 2.0 engine and I forgot to reinstall the drain plug copper seal and did not know it till dumped old oil and saw it. The thread has the explanation to what I did to fix it. That could have cost me an engine. Could have been major FUBAR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019