Brake light info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raise your hands if you're a procrastinator :hands:

I'm the furthest thing from an electrician, actually, its one of those things I really don't enjoy haha but, I did finally make it under there. The only thing I noticed was a small section of the wire loom is deteriorating away a few inches in front of the harness connection. I broke off a little more to see what was going but, I didn't notice any frayed or exposed wires.

The other thing that throws me off is, its only the damn brake light.

Is it possible that I could be using the wrong bulb? Could it be a faulty rear section blinker harness?

I'd hate to have to bring it in for this but, now I'm running down to the last minute for my inspection and need to figure this out asap.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Raise your hands if you're a procrastinator :hands:

I'm the furthest thing from an electrician, actually, its one of those things I really don't enjoy haha but, I did finally make it under there. The only thing I noticed was a small section of the wire loom is deteriorating away a few inches in front of the harness connection. I broke off a little more to see what was going but, I didn't notice any frayed or exposed wires.

The other thing that throws me off is, its only the damn brake light.

Is it possible that I could be using the wrong bulb? Could it be a faulty rear section blinker harness?

I'd hate to have to bring it in for this but, now I'm running down to the last minute for my inspection and need to figure this out asap.

The blinkers and brake lights are on completely different bulbs on the Tahoes/Suburbans, not like the Silverados where both upper and lower lights are wired together for brakes and signals.

Does the bulb blow immediately upon installing it or does it last a while?

When you install a new bulb and turn on the parking/running lights does that side glow brighter than the other side?

Does it blow the bulb the first time you hit the brake pedal or does it take a while?

When the brake filament of the bulb is bad and you have the parking lights on and hit the brakes, does the parking light filament turn off while you are holding the brake down?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blinkers and brake lights are on completely different bulbs on the Tahoes/Suburbans, not like the Silverados where both upper and lower lights are wired together for brakes and signals.

Does the bulb blow immediately upon installing it or does it last a while?

When you install a new bulb and turn on the parking/running lights does that side glow brighter than the other side?

Does it blow the bulb the first time you hit the brake pedal or does it take a while?

When the brake filament of the bulb is bad and you have the parking lights on and hit the brakes, does the parking light filament turn off while you are holding the brake down?

Yes, gotcha.
I just assumed they popped immediately because they did not work when using the wood block as my brake assist haha.

I just went out with my daughter this time, instead of a wood block haha.

I turned the lights on and the running lights worked, put a new bulb in and the running light worked but when pressing the brake pedal, nothing. I didn't notice any glowing or heat build up anywhere. There was no flickering either.

The parking light filament stays on while pressing the brake.

I'm at a loss but, I appreciate your help :)

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yes, gotcha.
I just assumed they popped immediately because they did not work when using the wood block as my brake assist haha.

I just went out with my daughter this time, instead of a wood block haha.

I turned the lights on and the running lights worked, put a new bulb in and the running light worked but when pressing the brake pedal, nothing. I didn't notice any glowing or heat build up anywhere. There was no flickering either.

The parking light filament stays on while pressing the brake.

I'm at a loss but, I appreciate your help :)

So you installed a new brake light bulb and it doesn't work... are both filaments still good in the new bulb or did it burn out?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you installed a new brake light bulb and it doesn't work... are both filaments still good in the new bulb or did it burn out?

Yes.
Yes, still good.

I'll actually go double check them in the drivers side assembly to be double sure. I bought two packs (3057 and 4057) of bulbs as well as having 3 others that I thought were blown. No visual signs of them being blown after checking them.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yes.
Yes, still good.

I'll actually go double check them in the drivers side assembly to be double sure. I bought two packs (3057 and 4057) of bulbs as well as having 3 others that I thought were blown. No visual signs of them being blown after checking them.

If the bulbs aren't bad then its either the socket not making good contact or your not getting power on the brake light wire as I believe both sockets use the same ground.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the bulbs aren't bad then its either the socket not making good contact or your not getting power on the brake light wire as I believe both sockets use the same ground.

I took one of the bulbs and used it in the drivers side and it worked. The drivers bulb was flaking so I replaced it with a new one, I have a few to spare :).

Just ran out to go double check. You are correct, its not making good contact. I have to push rather hard to make the brake light work.
I guess I'll order a new harness, again.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered another harness, lets hope this one holds up a little longer.

Has anyone used dielectric grease in the sockets of bulbs?

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way the bulb BLOWS, is because it has a higher voltage than what it was made for. No bad harness, bad or ground problems BLOW bulbs. The sockets go bad from heat, like waiting in line ups with your foot on the brake, for half hour or more. Answer is LED bulb and change socket. If you have other equipment hooked up that has a higher voltage, such as army equipment with a battery, or a commercial trailer which has 24 volt battery it will blow bulbs and fuses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e