Brake Controller for 2013 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look at this video at 2:30 to see if it's the same.

Richard Ruddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a Redarc brake controller @ 6 months ago. My Tahoe is RWD, so I purchased a GM headlamp switch plate (25810643) for a 4x4 and swapped out the other one, some Kydex, and fashioned a mounting solution for the Redarc knob that makes it look OEM. I also mounted the Redarc control box on the backside of the kick panel below the steering wheel by drilling into the hidden metal shroud part of the panel. You can barely see the plug in the gap below the steering wheel in the provided pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_151756.jpg
    IMG_20210928_151756.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210928_151805.jpg
    IMG_20210928_151805.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 8

jdj71

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Tekonsha P3 over the Voyager. Love mine, although I don't tow often. P3 is newer technology and I believe that you have more flexibility with how/where you can mount it.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-108189.html
Hi there
Is the p3 you’re referring to a Prodigy?
I just bought a small hybrid popup It has a prodigy controller mounted on tongue

But the handheld in cab controller did not come with it

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi there
Is the p3 you’re referring to a Prodigy?
I just bought a small hybrid popup It has a prodigy controller mounted on tongue

But the handheld in cab controller did not come with it

Yes, Tekonsha Prodigy P3.

Sounds like the one on your PuP is the wireless kind; based on that I assume that your camper has brakes. You'll probably pay more for the wireless remote than you would a new Prodigy P3, but the wireless is handy, especially if the trailer is used with multiple vehicles.

Not sure what model controller you have but here's a remote for one model:

jdj71

Reaction score

Sounds like the one on your PuP is the wireless kind; based on that I assume that your camper has brakes. You'll probably pay more for the wireless remote than you would a new Prodigy P3, but the wireless is handy, especially if the trailer is used with multiple vehicles.

1D7635A2-1956-4DEA-BF5B-66F18AEA3927.jpeg

Thanks for responding so quick

This unit is cheaper than the brake controller I was gonna buy

I’ll just go this route

Cheers!

Reaction score
I'm not sure I quite understand the point of this type of "wireless" setup. Seems like an additional component that's not necessary. If the trailer has electric brakes then just plug in a brake controller to the connectors/wires under the dash and plug the trailer into the plug on the receiver like normal

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Convenience, especially when the trailer will be pulled by different vehicles. No vehicle wiring needed except the power socket. Personally I prefer the hardwired controller on these vehicles since it's already pre-wired.

The trailer must have a battery good enough (and charged) to actuate the brakes. It would have to have some kind of battery anyway to activate the brakes in the event of a hitch failure, but for that it could be a smaller battery. For fulltime use while traveling it should use a car-sized battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons