box design opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaman

Reaction score
i currently have 2 12's in a sealed box behind my third row facing back. i like it ok enough, but i finally got around to getting some mdf to build a ported box. i've had both styles in the past and really prefer a ported box.

i'm looking for input and opinions regarding which way to point the subs and the port for my new box. with another little one on the way, i need more room in the back for a stroller.

i intend for the new box to take the space of one of the third row seats, and after some measuring i should be able to easily build a 4 cubic foot ported box. i'm just curious to know what others have discovered sound-wise regarding how their box was designed.

i originally thought about having the subs firing up towards the ceiling, or down at the floor with a port directed towards the rear. anyone have any lessons learned on this?

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
that's pretty sharp!

so subs up and port back. would you have it built that way if you could do it over again?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's pretty sharp!

so subs up and port back. would you have it built that way if you could do it over again?

This is basically it from the side. Yes I'd do it just like that again. My friend now has the box in his denali...

j1aG8wX.png

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
Build a "folded Horn"

Sealed and ported box's are outdated.

those look pretty cool - but i don't think i could give up enough space to build one properly. :(

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

This is basically it from the side. Yes I'd do it just like that again. My friend now has the box in his denali...

j1aG8wX.png

that's pretty much the design/style i had already been thinking about. :)

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
so... i finished my box...

you know those moments when you think to yourself "...holy crap... what have i done?..." yea, i had one of those moments a few seconds ago.

i knew there was going to be a lot more bass, but this is ridiculous. it's almost too much.

i decided to have the box take up the footprint of one of the third row seats. it's 24" wide, 28" deep, and 12" tall. the subs face up, and the port faces back. since i'm running two jl 12w3v2's, i made the port to be ~ 30.8 hz. let me know if you want all the dimensions for the cuts if you want to build one as well.

obligatory pics:

picture.php

picture.php

it's also the first time i've carpeted a box too. i think i did ok... :)

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is too much turn it down, easy fix.

Next time add more port area, the chuffing is going to get old quick.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, kids these days and their hide box's.

Altho i one thought I needed huge interior killing box, glad I grew out of that. :)

Good job tho, carpet looks good in pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod