Bought my first Tahoe today. Need advice on what to watch out for and perhaps replace.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
The exhaust manifold leaks are likely from broken bolts at the ends of manifolds. Dorman makes special clamps to fix that instead of drilling out and tapping and keeps from pulling head(s).

I don't think your rig has a fan clutch, should have electric fans, unless I am wrong. I do see a fan clutch listed at RA but my 05 Z71 has electric fans. Plus I had seen another thread about an 04 Tahoe that talked about electric fans. Maybe they had done a conversion.

If you want to really set up that suspension and have a better feel, use OE parts and install front and rear Hellwig sway bar kits.
You're right...upon inspection this morning 2 bolts are broken. One on the passenger side front and the other drivers side rear of which looks like a pain to get to. I went a head and bought the dorman exhaust clamps for all of them.
Flushed the coolant system and replaced the hoses and that seem to hold the temp better although it still slightly varies but not as bad as it did before. Bought a new radiator so when that get in I'm going to change that out a long the fan/clutch and thermostat for good measure. Then off to starting on the steering and suspension.

For now I just need this thing to pass inspection so I can get the title transferred over to me. Yea even though it past 9 months ago, In Texas, it has to pass within 180 days of transferring the title. So I'm just going to fix up the exhaust leak with the clamps for now and worry about a permanent fix later. Might go short tube headers. Even though LTs are better, I'm not after the most horsepower more of a mild cruiser. Plus I can get the bbk shorties for 1/2 off.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Depending on the exhaust manifold bolts location, the head has to come off for the work. If inclined, may be the right time for new/reman heads.

When you do the radiator, the hose to the reservoir bottle needs a slight restriction for the temps to be in the right window. Several threads here about that. Can use a hose clamp on it and pinch slightly for the restriction. One member here got very creative and designed a restriction for the nipple on the radiator. Again, those threads are full of info.

I am confident that the exhaust clamps can last and do the job as long as you want them to.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
reman heads is what I was actually looking at this morning. Few shops in my area have pretty good prices.
Another discovery is it looks like the water pump weep hole is leaking coolant so I have added that to my parts list run today.
Should be an interesting weekend changing out pretty much the whole cooling system.

The drivers side rear exhaust manifold bolt looks to be the hard since the hole is behind the block almost against the firewall. I think I can rig some thing up to get in there and tighten down the clamp.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The clamps are different part numbers depending on the location of d/s or p/s front or rear. They are designed to allow for easy enough access to install. Don't settle for heads that are just the cheapest. Do the research and ask here for suggestions. Too much work to settle for inferior heads.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
The clamps are different part numbers depending on the location of d/s or p/s front or rear. They are designed to allow for easy enough access to install. Don't settle for heads that are just the cheapest. Do the research and ask here for suggestions. Too much work to settle for inferior heads.
Of course not that goes with old verbiage ''get what you pay for ''. I'll probably get a set done where I got the heads sitting on my 68 mustang done at which has a 390. Little pricey but damn good work was just comparing average prices around my area. There are a good amount of LS engine builders here that I think I'll be fine.

chevylade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You should check all of the brake lines carefully as it’s not unusual for those to fail. I personally would go ahead and replace all of them. As for replacement brakes, I use the PowerStop Z36 kit on my ‘03 Escalade. They feel stronger than oem and don’t put out a lot of dust. I bought replacement calipers from NAPA that have a lifetime guarantee. I also replaced my front suspension with the higher end Moog parts. I sourced my parts from Amazon, Rockauto, and Napa.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
You should check all of the brake lines carefully as it’s not unusual for those to fail. I personally would go ahead and replace all of them. As for replacement brakes, I use the PowerStop Z36 kit on my ‘03 Escalade. They feel stronger than oem and don’t put out a lot of dust. I bought replacement calipers from NAPA that have a lifetime guarantee. I also replaced my front suspension with the higher end Moog parts. I sourced my parts from Amazon, Rockauto, and Napa.
Thanks!

I did see Moog parts on amazon and was going to ask about those as well as the powerstop rotors. Looks like the suspension and steering components are worn out and just need a good over hual. Mechanic said the steering rack was ok but not a bad idea to change that out to if I was to go and replace everything else. I also got Bilstein B6 shocks on the list. This weekend the water pump, belt. fan clutch, hoses and radiator are being replaced and I might go ahead and do the AC condenser.

I'll def buy new brake lines through....I didn't even think about that.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I did see Moog parts on amazon and was going to ask about those as well as the powerstop rotors. Looks like the suspension and steering components are worn out and just need a good over hual. Mechanic said the steering rack was ok but not a bad idea to change that out to if I was to go and replace everything else. I also got Bilstein B6 shocks on the list. This weekend the water pump, belt. fan clutch, hoses and radiator are being replaced and I might go ahead and do the AC condenser.

I'll def buy new brake lines through....I didn't even think about that.
I used the higher end moog steering / suspension parts on my tahoe and have no complaints. They have grease zerks and went 37,000 miles no problems so far. Your Tahoe should have a steering gear box, not a rack and pinion. If the gear box is good at that mileage consider your self lucky and keep it! Remanufactured ones that don’t have slop are hard to find! I learned that the hard way by replacing it anyways with everything else like you mentioned haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17