Body Lift vs Suspension Lift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor mans lift - get yourself a set of Ford F150 torsion keys. Yes, FORD keys. They fit just fine, and only run about $26 each. Swap the keys out and you can crank up the front end to be completely level with your rear.

Spend about $50 more and get a set of coil spacers to lift the rear and crank the front keys more and you can stuff a 33 inch tire under your rig.

If you have an LT get some Z coils to add about a half to 3/4 inch more height.
If you want to know more, I did a detailed writeup of my suspension work here.

As for body lifts, I think the smallest you can get for a NBS is a 3 inch body lift. But, as mentioned, it is lots of work to do, since you are separating the body from the chassis.

Of course, if you want to go even taller, then you will HAVE to go the route of a suspension lift kit. Usually starting around $1600 or so for a 4 inch lift and up....which is why I wen the cheap route to get about 3 inches of lift.

Wont work on a 3/4 ton though. It is a cheap easy way to lift a half ton though.

ELOOSECANNON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Body lifts are alright but ugly when used w/o moderation, prefer suspension lifts anyday.
LoL I remeber when someone on TF said body lifts are "a poor mans way of going high"

My opinion, I think body lifts are dangerous. My cousin had one on his S-10 and he fell asleep coming home from work and went off the road. The whole body seperated from the frame, needless to say he spend 6 months in the hospital and has minor brain damage. Suspension lift is the way to go. It bolts right in and you don't have to modify your other parts to make it work (ie CAI, and most importantly the STEERING).

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your truck is a 4X4 then you should be able to fit a 16x8 rim with at-least a 285/75R16 tire. That should be a 33" tire overall. Poor mans lift work just as well then a Suspension lift. With a suspension lift you will face the difficulties of possibly cutting out the old Sub Frame. Then cutting corners of the transfer case and transfer case brackets.

With my 2001 Tahoe 4x4 LS I wanted to go with a suspension lift but it required all that i listed above and I wasn't going to take the chance and cut up the wrong thing and mess it up.

With a Body Lift give yourself about 8 Hours overall and you will have a cut-free "Poor Mans Lift" that looks just as good and can be just as functional.

Tyler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84