Blind side alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jennifer Walters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon Denali. We drove from South Carolina to Ohio and hit a rain storm. After that, the blind stop detection stopped working until we stopped and then it started alerting again.

Is this a “Feature”? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owner's manual states that it often will not work in heavy rainstorms, or if the corners of the rear bumper are covered in mud, ice, snow, etc. The water being kicked up from a heavy storm is blocking the sensors and if not turned off would give false readings.

It also will not work if you turned off LCA, Lane Change Alert.

OP
OP
Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. I kept skimming the owners manual and must have missed it. [emoji53]‍♀️

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I kept skimming the owners manual and must have missed it. [emoji53]‍♀️

My 2018 Denali did the same thing durring a 2 hour rain in the midwest. No blind spot and no lane keep assist. When the rain stopped , it still didn't work. Took several hours of sunshine before it started partialy working . Salesman said to wash vehicle...... the rain did a pretty good job. Mentioned it yesterday at first service apointment and they said to set up appointment for the issue next time. Something squirley with it . Maybe something to do with the Midwest.....

OP
OP
Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2018 Denali did the same thing durring a 2 hour rain in the midwest. No blind spot and no lane keep assist. When the rain stopped , it still didn't work. Took several hours of sunshine before it started partialy working . Salesman said to wash vehicle...... the rain did a pretty good job. Mentioned it yesterday at first service apointment and they said to set up appointment for the issue next time. Something squirley with it . Maybe something to do with the Midwest.....

Yes. Very much like my experience. I didn’t wash it. I just waited and after a stop it started working again.

Josh Rubin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Failure of the "side detection system" is widespread problem with GM vehicles. So much so that they have provided a bulletin extending warranty coverage on the chevy cruise, chevy impala, and GMC acadia. No bulletins for any other models even thought it is the same issue - water penetrates inside the module (located near the back bumper) and shorts out the whole system. Worse yet, it can start to affect the electrical components of the vehicle's other systems. To date, GM has been unwilling to address my concern and get this fixed. I am currently working with legal counsel to address this issue and it could become a class action lawsuit as we move forward. I will follow up soon with further info on this as we will be getting the word out and starting litigation.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to simply disable this system? Mine stays in (yellow indicators in side mirrors) and a failure message upon startup.

I would just as well be done with the system than try to chase gremlins on this tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter