BlendMount (radar detector mirror mount) question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all -- Asked this exact thing in another thread, but it was an old thread, and maybe this will get some fresh looks...

I did a test-fit of my Blendmount to the mirror last night, and it didn’t go well. Is the mirror stem diameter on these ‘21+ trucks the larger of the two diameters mentioned in the instructions, and will only accept the BM without using the plastic “spacers” that come snapped onto it? With the spacers in, the top-screw threads were spread too far apart to get the screw in. (Or else I was doing something wrong.)

If you can’t use the spacers, then does the BM bite into the mirror stem and mar it? Or is the fit perfect and won’t mark up the stem if removed?

Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all -- Asked this exact thing in another thread, but it was an old thread, and maybe this will get some fresh looks...

I did a test-fit of my Blendmount to the mirror last night, and it didn’t go well. Is the mirror stem diameter on these ‘21+ trucks the larger of the two diameters mentioned in the instructions, and will only accept the BM without using the plastic “spacers” that come snapped onto it? With the spacers in, the top-screw threads were spread too far apart to get the screw in. (Or else I was doing something wrong.)

If you can’t use the spacers, then does the BM bite into the mirror stem and mar it? Or is the fit perfect and won’t mark up the stem if removed?

Thanks!
go to a ace hardware (or any hardware) store and get longer screws. problem solved.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to a ace hardware (or any hardware) store and get longer screws. problem solved.

Not true. Since the brackets appear to not fit around the mirror stem with the spacers in, the left and right brackets are spread at the top at an ANGLE. The screw hole and the threaded hole opposite it don't line up on the same plane.

At this point I just want to know if the '23 Denali's (specifically) mirror stem is supposed to accept the BM with the spacers in (and I'm just doing something wrong), or if it only accepts it without the spacers. Seems odd to specify the make, model, and year of the truck this is going in when purchasing it, but to get something that won't fit unless you remove the pre-installed spacers. But, since the spacers are easily removed, it's understandable.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. Since the brackets appear to not fit around the mirror stem with the spacers in, the left and right brackets are spread at the top at an ANGLE. The screw hole and the threaded hole opposite it don't line up on the same plane.

At this point I just want to know if the '23 Denali's (specifically) mirror stem is supposed to accept the BM with the spacers in (and I'm just doing something wrong), or if it only accepts it without the spacers. Seems odd to specify the make, model, and year of the truck this is going in when purchasing it, but to get something that won't fit unless you remove the pre-installed spacers. But, since the spacers are easily removed, it's understandable.
you stated " the top-screw threads were spread too far apart"
now it's something different.....
so if the angle is not right then you could probably get away with using something thinner than the spacer like a piece of trimmed rubber, electrical tape, etc cut to fit.
basically anything that prevents metal on metal contact preventing maring should work.
I have used blend mounts since they came out back when you could buy one for less than $50.
modifying one to fit shouldn't be all that difficult.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you stated " the top-screw threads were spread too far apart"
now it's something different.....
so if the angle is not right then you could probably get away with using something thinner than the spacer like a piece of trimmed rubber, electrical tape, etc cut to fit.
basically anything that prevents metal on metal contact preventing maring should work.
I have used blend mounts since they came out back when you could buy one for less than $50.
modifying one to fit shouldn't be all that difficult.

lol Nothing different at all. Same scenario, just more info -- and info that's not even particularly pertinent to my question.

Here's my question again: Is the '23 Denali's mirror stem supposed to accept the BM with the spacers in, or will it only accept it without the spacers?

If the answer is, "It absolutely fits on the '23 stem with the spacers in, so you're doing something wrong," then I can go from there. If the answer is, "The stem is too large to use the spacers, and it will only fit correctly if you remove the spacers," then I'll know to remove the spacers and try again that way, knowing I'm not fighting a losing battle with the spacers in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Nothing different at all. Same scenario, just more info -- and info that's not even particularly pertinent to my question.

Here's my question again: Is the '23 Denali's mirror stem supposed to accept the BM with the spacers in, or will it only accept it without the spacers?

If the answer is, "It absolutely fits on the '23 stem with the spacers in, so you're doing something wrong," then I can go from there. If the answer is, "The stem is too large to use the spacers, and it will only fit correctly if you remove the spacers," then I'll know to remove the spacers and try again that way, knowing I'm not fighting a losing battle with the spacers in.
maybe post up a picture, I'm guessing not a lot of members are using a blendmount, there a few out there though.
looks like they are out stock anyway so you might have to just make it work
this is what the 23 mount looks like
23.jpg

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe post up a picture, I'm guessing not a lot of members are using a blendmount, there a few out there though.
looks like they are out stock anyway so you might have to just make it work
this is what the 23 mount looks like
View attachment 424009

Is that the mount for a '23 GMC pickup? 'Cause it's not the one for a '23 Yukon Denali -- and they're not out of stock, unless I got the last one last week.

Mine is the only design I'd ever seen before your picture, and doesn't have an open side to the stem-attachment like that. It has c-clamps that are identical on the left and right side, and are tightened together at the top and bottom.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 20, but blend mount worked only without spacers. It’s tight enough. If yours is not without spacers, then try black tape. Since my detector is a mag mount device, it really needs to be tight.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the mount for a '23 GMC pickup? 'Cause it's not the one for a '23 Yukon Denali -- and they're not out of stock, unless I got the last one last week.

Mine is the only design I'd ever seen before your picture, and doesn't have an open side to the stem-attachment like that. It has c-clamps that are identical on the left and right side, and are tightened together at the top and bottom.
ya I searched the wrong one
should look like this then and then i would just use black tape as mentioned, tape will likely be the easiest, otherwise probably have to add washers to the lower part as well as longer bolts
2023.JPG

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one. Thanks for the input.

Still hoping that someone can answer my question. If not, then I'll throw a wrap of electrical tape on the stem and call it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts