So what if I trim my lug studs?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajmalian

Reaction score
So…long story short, I ordered 1.25” wheel spacers for my ‘21 Yukon Denali after watching a video on YouTube for a 1.5” spacer that was installed on a ‘21 Sierra. The person in the video did it for the sake of stance and I felt the Yukon could use a bit of the stance too…however not as much as the gentleman in the video as he went for 1.5” spacers. All worked out for him and everything fit like a glove in his case. Now my 1.25” spacers arrived today and I am going to install them tomorrow and it just occurred to me…the person in the video just cleared everything by a hair. I ordered smaller spacers which means I may need to trim my lug studs by 0.25” assuming they will hit the mounting surface of the wheel.

Now my question is….if I trim the factory studs for the install, and for whatever reason wanna go back to factory setup, will the lug nuts have a significantly lesser grab/bite on the studs because the studs are now 0.25” shorter? And even then, I assume it’s only the conical tip I’d be shaving off. Would it really make that much of a difference that I would have to get new wheel lug studs installed?? Because if that is the case, I don’t want to risk it. $170/- for the part may go down the drain but at least I won’t have to deal with the BS dealerships here in UAE will give me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they even take away my warranty for it.

So…any thoughts if I can risk it for the biscuit??

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't miss the threads. The trucks that have caps covering the lugs use shorter lug nuts that have probably 1/2" of exposed stud past the nut, so that much isn't being used. I had 1.5" spacers on mine and I just cut the rounded tips off. I'd say 1.25" is the minimum spacer I'd run. You'll be fine. Party on, Garth.

Reaction score
Taking Nhra safety rules into consideration for racecars, you should be fine if the threads on the stud engage the lug nut at least the diameter of the stud.

For example, if the stud is 7/16" diameter, there should be at least 7/16" of threads engaged into the lug nut.

If it's safe for a racecar it should be safe for a street car?

OP
OP
A

Ajmalian

Reaction score
So update is…the studs even though significantly longer than what the spacers would cover, they were swallowed by the cavity in the factory 22” wheels. Unfortunately the lip on the spacer was bigger than the wheels themselves. It seems they work with the Sierras but unfortunately not for the Yukons oddly. They did look nice though while they were on there for test fitment. Any recommendations from other brands other than Richeer that have been tried and tested?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So update is…the studs even though significantly longer than what the spacers would cover, they were swallowed by the cavity in the factory 22” wheels. Unfortunately the lip on the spacer was bigger than the wheels themselves. It seems they work with the Sierras but unfortunately not for the Yukons oddly. They did look nice though while they were on there for test fitment. Any recommendations from other brands other than Richeer that have been tried and tested?

You mean the lip for the hub-centric support? Exactly what is bigger and by how much? Could you file a hair out of the wheel's hub bore or even take a little off the spacer itself?

OP
OP
A

Ajmalian

Reaction score
Yes…the hub centric support lip on the spacer. It had a bigger diameter than the bore/hole in the wheel. Unfortunately I didn’t measure the difference and returned the item so can’t tell. Sorry.

starbai

Reaction score
Out of curiosuity could you post a link to the spacer you were running so we can see what the CB on the spacer was? Also which factory Yukon wheel are you running?