BlackBear tuned!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, today was the day I met with Justin. First off, great guy, very nice, and seems to know a little about what he is doing. Professional, and quick.

Next. The performance gains are amazing! Never thought a tune could do so much. Shifts are firmed, part throttle driveability is awsome. While doing the ride along tuning, at WOT it took nothing to gain speed. Then afterwards getting on the freeway, I was kncoking @ 100 MPH's backdoor before I even merged. WOW!!!!!

Nothing but good things to say about BlackBear. I even got a sticker! LOL. All I can say now is, Im extremely glad that I didnt wait a year or so to have it tuned.

Only slight concern I have is, while driving there to meet him, I was getting 16.7 MPG, than on the way home I was registering as low as 16.0 MPG. Not a good sign. Driver was the same, as well as conditions. Even though the Average MPG was registering lower, I seemed to have used a little less fuel on the way home. The real test will be this week when my wife drives to and from work.

All in All... SUPER HAPPY WITH BLACKBEAR! There isnt a better tune out there!

Toadster

Reaction score
Well, today was the day I met with Justin. First off, great guy, very nice, and seems to know a little about what he is doing. Professional, and quick.

Next. The performance gains are amazing! Never thought a tune could do so much. Shifts are firmed, part throttle driveability is awsome. While doing the ride along tuning, at WOT it took nothing to gain speed. Then afterwards getting on the freeway, I was kncoking @ 100 MPH's backdoor before I even merged. WOW!!!!!

Nothing but good things to say about BlackBear. I even got a sticker! LOL. All I can say now is, Im extremely glad that I didnt wait a year or so to have it tuned.

Only slight concern I have is, while driving there to meet him, I was getting 16.7 MPG, than on the way home I was registering as low as 16.0 MPG. Not a good sign. Driver was the same, as well as conditions. Even though the Average MPG was registering lower, I seemed to have used a little less fuel on the way home. The real test will be this week when my wife drives to and from work.

All in All... SUPER HAPPY WITH BLACKBEAR! There isnt a better tune out there!

oh yeah! fully agree - I LOVE IT!
I did notice on the way home, that it took much less pedal to move through the hills back to Sacramento - after we get out of 'romp' mode, I'm sure this will improve mileage :)

1STIMEYUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your from bakersfield too? where was the tune at? i got mine done about a year ago down south in temecula.

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao. Yes I am out of bakersfield! Sweet another member from bako! Hahaha

Sorry in advance if this message is all jacked up, I'm having to do this on the blackberry.

Anyways. The tune was in kingsburg, just south of fresno. I know this tune has completely sold me on a custom tune for my truck. My wife seems to be pretty happy with it, however I doubt she will ever get in like I did. She's more concerned about driveabilty in town and mostly fuel mileage. That's why I was wondering about it.1sttimeyukon, what kind of mpg gains did you see. At first when I was heading back to pick up the wife I was seeing 18.2 mpg at 70. Then the wife gets in, and it drops to 16. Less than what it was before tune. Also, did you make the towhaul a sport option? Sport option is believably a pretty big difference. I love it.

Anyways, PM me 1sttimeyukon, maybe we can get together on some events and what not.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't forget the gradient change as you are essentially going up hill when heading south, eventhough it doesn't seem like it.

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I know it. Thats why I was waiting a little while to see what my wife is getting in town for about a week. I hope you dont think that i am not satisfied, because I am completely! I just talked to wife, and she said that shes used almost a half a tank on 88 miles in town. That doesnt sound right. Oh well, I will keep my eye on it.

She has to drive to school tomorrow, and its a little bit of a drive on a highway, so I told her to drive it there in sport tune, than home in normal tune. thanks again!

1STIMEYUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually noticed a decrease in mpg's. i have already came to the realization that no matter what i do im never going to get better then 12.1-3 around town and about 16-17 on the highway. i told justin i wanted to the most aggressive tune he could give me using 91 octane so thats what he did. ahaha and i couldnt be happier. although i did notice that when i would use 87 oct my mpg's would decrease to about 11 or so. and the power just isnt there with 87 like it is with 91 so i try and stick with 91 when i can. and yea i had 80 % or so of tm removed in normal driving and all of it removed in towhaul. i feel a difference mainy with the kick between gears in WOT it feels like it pushes you forward during shift rather than fall back like it did before the tune.

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your from Bako, you can relate. But my wife says that she was getting 18 MPG on to and from Taft when she would to school. Shes heading over there tonight, so shes going to let me know. I know the Kon performes like no other, but the wife was wanting to see some jumps in MPGs. Im thinking maybe I need to have the DOD enabled in the normal driving mode, not sport though.

I will keep you posted Jenna. Im super happy with the tune, but as you know, if the wife aint happy... nobody is. Shes threatening to have the tune taken out if MPG's dont lift. If hell ends up freezing over, what kind of options do I have with Justin for a tweek in tune or something? Scan cable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645