BlackBear tuned!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since your from Bako, you can relate. But my wife says that she was getting 18 MPG on to and from Taft when she would to school. Shes heading over there tonight, so shes going to let me know. I know the Kon performes like no other, but the wife was wanting to see some jumps in MPGs. Im thinking maybe I need to have the DOD enabled in the normal driving mode, not sport though.

I will keep you posted Jenna. Im super happy with the tune, but as you know, if the wife aint happy... nobody is. Shes threatening to have the tune taken out if MPG's dont lift. If hell ends up freezing over, what kind of options do I have with Justin for a tweek in tune or something? Scan cable?

You had AFM taken out? You can't have AFM taken out of one mode and not the other unfortunately. We will definitely work with you on any tweeks you are requesting. Are you using 87 octane?

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I had the AFM disabled. I was told that I wouldn't lose much, and the tune would more than make up for it. I'm thinking that maybe I should enable it again. Just to keep the wife happy. I know it doesn't effect the performance. How would I go about getting an update? Would I have to buy a new ECM then send you mine? Mainly I'm looking at how much extra will it be. Just let me know! I will keep you updated! Thanks a bunch!!!!

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Updates are free, you just have to put down a core deposit, which is refunded when you send your stocker back out to us.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ good customer service is so hard to find nowdays...that's awesome you guys are still working with him

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the mpg on my 99 tahoe hasn't went up either, if anything it has decreased a little. Kind of disappointing because I too was hoping to see a MPG gain. I'm not gonna lie though, im gonna be getting all my Chevy's BB tuned.

1STIMEYUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont believe i had all the afm taken out i just think he "de-sensitized" it. anyways yea i used the whole "oh well get better mpg's out of it and it will pay for itself in a few months" excuse to get my wife in the door. ahah and when we try we get good gas mileage ive actually seen it above 20 mpg's after the tune on a flat road. im actually using the whole better mpg excuse to justify a volant cold air so well see how it works ahah

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned. I emailed Justin, to see what we could do about getting the MPG's back up. Im thinking that I will start with having the AFM reinstated, seeing if that will help. Im hoping I wont lose any performance out of it though. LOL, hopefully not.

I will keep you guys posted. Im excited about getting everything dialed in, kind of the perk of having a custom tune. I appreciate any other comments you guys might have!

OP
OP
07-fivethree

07-fivethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so heres an update...

Went to Vegas this weekend for the UFC fight, (Couture is the shit!), so I got a chance to stretch the Kon out a little, and see what kind of improvements the BB tune has done. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the fuel mileage wasnt improving like I had hoped. Well after a few emails back and forth with Justin, I found that my driving style wasnt right for the tune, and that I had to drive a with a little more "gusto". In doing so, in town I saw a bit of a jump, back to stock numbers... keep that in mind.

Now, when driving to Vegas, from where I live, I have to climb out of two valleys, both multi-mile high % grades. By the time I got to stateline, the average MPG was showing 14 at best. When I fueled up, I double checked the reading with my own calculation, and was surprised to see that I had actually gotten 17 MPG. Which I was happy about, and the wife was satisfied.

So, Im thinking that I might have acheived my 1-2 MPG average gain, but for some reason the computer isnt calculaing correctly. Now I know though... BTW... the strolls up the grades were extremely effortless, especially in sport mode. It kept the tranny kick down pullin when I needed it. Even had to do a spirited pass at 60 MPH; by the time I passed the Honda on the hill I was grabbin 90 MPH... WHEW. Man I love this tune.

1STIMEYUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after i got my tune done in temecula i was coming down the grapevine coming towards bakersfield and gave it just a little gas and before i knew it i was passing 120! scary shit in such a big truck! but it was so effortless

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, so heres an update...

Went to Vegas this weekend for the UFC fight, (Couture is the shit!), so I got a chance to stretch the Kon out a little, and see what kind of improvements the BB tune has done. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the fuel mileage wasnt improving like I had hoped. Well after a few emails back and forth with Justin, I found that my driving style wasnt right for the tune, and that I had to drive a with a little more "gusto". In doing so, in town I saw a bit of a jump, back to stock numbers... keep that in mind.

Now, when driving to Vegas, from where I live, I have to climb out of two valleys, both multi-mile high % grades. By the time I got to stateline, the average MPG was showing 14 at best. When I fueled up, I double checked the reading with my own calculation, and was surprised to see that I had actually gotten 17 MPG. Which I was happy about, and the wife was satisfied.

So, Im thinking that I might have acheived my 1-2 MPG average gain, but for some reason the computer isnt calculaing correctly. Now I know though... BTW... the strolls up the grades were extremely effortless, especially in sport mode. It kept the tranny kick down pullin when I needed it. Even had to do a spirited pass at 60 MPH; by the time I passed the Honda on the hill I was grabbin 90 MPH... WHEW. Man I love this tune.

Yep- drive it like you stole it!! :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon