Bizzaro Esky Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a esky roof rack in pretty good condition sitting in a storage closet. The chrome is okay and the caps need repainting. I mocked it up on the truck a while back and I'm 'meh' about putting it on, especially cause I don't have pre drilled wholes on my roof and didn't feel like going through with it unless I loved it.

Aaaaaanyhoot, I've been meaning to put it up for sale but an idea for a unique mod came to mind a while back and I can't seem to shake it. So before I sell it I thought I'd run it by you guys to see what you think of it, if it would look good/crap, and if you've ever seen it before ...

So the idea goes like this: Reverse the esky roof rack look.

Basically it would involve either painting or vinyl wrapping what is now chrome, and conversely, chrome out the end caps. Not sure what the best way would be to achieve the latter, but I imagine strip off the black paint and have them painted with chrome paint. Is chrome plating plastic possible?

The method, unless it's impossible, isn't the paramount issue at this point ... I'm just playing with novel ideas, and the idea of a more discreet roof rack with lesser chrome elements is rather appealing to me in principle.

What do you guys think?
Will it look like ass? :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say no as well but if you're going to do it you can vinyl wrap the whole thing and achieve what you're after. I believe they make wraps that looks like chrome....

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say no as well but if you're going to do it you can vinyl wrap the whole thing and achieve what you're after. I believe they make wraps that looks like chrome....

That's interesting ... so I can actually test this theory relatively cheap and if it doesn't look right, just take the wraps off and sell the rack. :hmm:

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting ... so I can actually test this theory relatively cheap and if it doesn't look right, just take the wraps off and sell the rack. :hmm:

Yes :waytogo:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try it out. Its different, was just looking at your new moulding thread and thought, wonder what he did w/ the rack.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think once you get it done it will look like you bought some autozone/pepboys stick on chrome end cap covers...just out of place and would not flow with anything...IMO!

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
I think once you get it done it will look like you bought some autozone/pepboys stick on chrome end cap covers...just out of place and would not flow with anything...IMO!

+1.

I agree with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz